Esw 25pdv vs. Enviro ef5 opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedarjunki

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2015
Upstate NY
Just looking for a little input with your personal experience or just an opinion.
25 pdv currently installed. Doing well considering its 16 years old.
The only safety on the old beast is the high limit switch integrated into the board. I havnt had to run it any higher than level 6 out of 9.
I really like the way they are built but i am not crazy about the double auger setup.
I couldnt pass up a chance at a 2008 enviro evolution (ef5) read lots of good things and was told good as well. So i bought it blind and cleaned it all up. Fired it up and all seems to be working except possibly the ignitor. I lit it manually when i tested it so im not positive if its good or not. It needs a control panel decal but that seems about all. No biggie.
(I have to add that i am not all that impressed in the construction of this stove. But all i am able to compare it to is the pdv.)

My question, how would you compare the 2?? Will the enviro heat just as well? Better? Not so much?
I noticed it didnt seem to move as much air as the pvd. But that could have been just because i had it running in the doorway of my shop. Both stoves have a 180 cfm blower but the enviro has 10? heat exchange tubes i think compared to the 4 on the pdv with a couple tiny ones on the sides.

Just worried im going to redo the venting to find out it wasnt worth it. Any inspiring thoughts??

Since I've had no experience with either stove, I'm not much help:( Inspiring thoughts ... it's newer! I seem to recall many enviro owners have really been very happy with their stove but YMMV. I'm thinking you will have to jump in both feet and give it a good run before you can decide.

Since I've had no experience with either stove, I'm not much help:( Inspiring thoughts ... it's newer! I seem to recall many enviro owners have really been very happy with their stove but YMMV. I'm thinking you will have to jump in both feet and give it a good run before you can decide.

Well, i jumped in saturday morning. Had it up and running by 9:30am. Ran great all day/night. Sunday afternoon i connected it to the thermostat. Ran it on hi/low all day/night. Worked great. Came home from work today and i am glad it is warm out. Stove was off with a pot full of pellets.. :-(

I will say for the low end of the price scale they really are a good stove.. I was Weary at first but when I saw they have been making this same design since the early 90's I figured they had to be doing something right

I will say for the low end of the price scale they really are a good stove.. I was Weary at first but when I saw they have been making this same design since the early 90's I figured they had to be doing something right

They deffinately put out heat. I just dont really care for the double auger system. Its a huge differance with the drop feed. I can actually use a thermostat now and not have to wait 15 minutes after it calls for heat before the pellets make it to the fire. Its almost instant. Thermo clicks, fan kicks on high, pellets start dropping.

Ya even englander told me these stoves are not the best for thermostats.. My wife is home with the kids all day so she is like my thermostat lol to bad she like the house toasty

Ya even englander told me these stoves are not the best for thermostats.. My wife is home with the kids all day so she is like my thermostat lol to bad she like the house toasty

My wife refuses to touch the stove. In a way its a good thing. :)

I am almost certain the reason the stove went out today is because i didnt feel like going out to the shed this morning and dumped in a bag of my chitty currans i had sitting here. After i changed a setting in which the manual states (for low quality pellets only) its keeping a slightly better flame on the low heat setting. I should have known better i guess

the stove has a setting for "low quality pellets"? nifty

Basically the same as the pdv lower fuel feed.
But this one only has 3 diff adjustments.
3 seconds on time for normal.
2 seconds on for super premiums :-/

And 4 seconds on for poor quality pellets.

hang in there cedar you will get it figured out

Status
Not open for further replies.