Enviro55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

libirm

Hearth Supporter
Jun 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hello
I have my stove for a few years now, relatively problem free.
How ever today when I started it- it will not let me raise level of heat past one.

I tried shutting off the breaker ( rebooting- if you will) and restarting the stove, while it starts fine it still will not let me raise the level.

Any thoughts of some thing I might try?

I have called the installer and am awaiting his call.
In the mean time....

Thanks in advance

Do you have a thermostat connected? If not, possibly the thermostat jumper on the board is loose. Are you running manual, high/low, or auto? If high/low, possibly the thermostat connection is loose, or the thermostat is bad.

Reactions: vinny11950
Thanks for the replies...
No lights flashing
No thermostat
No setting changed
Cleaned once a week
Plugged into wall
Everything looks and works the way it always has with this one exception, cannot raise the heat level.

My guess is the touch panel on top may be shot and needs to be replaced....

Hi Librium!
So I take it that your M55 is plugged directly into the wall...
Yeah your control unit could be shot...
#1 Have you hit the reset switch in the hopper (far right side) in the hopper behind the circular pop out piece? ***Other M55 owners may chime in on this as well.
#2 Stove is set to Manual...

Without a surge protector, you possibly took a power surge...
Any power outages nearby?
Fuses (4)
Hopefully other M55 folks can help, Good Luck, Bill

There are board services that can often repair damage. Even if you buy a new control board, you may want to see about repairing the old ... back ups are always nice as stoves usually choose one of the colder days of the year to malfunction.
www.api-assembled
heatwave electronics
There was another service in NY state that either had less expensive boards or repaired ... might be around Syracuse. Try a search top right!

Reactions: bostonfan49
Thanks for the Help!

I talked to my Dealer- he thinks the secondary board on top is shot- So he orderd another for me- I take the old one and get it repaired
Lake Girl this is the Only NY repair mentioned I could find-
[email protected]
his # is 303-912-5066

Although I never had a problem with a surge- and I have not heard of a complaint locally- I will be adding a surge protector when I install the new board, just in case.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Just a quick check......
Make sure the ribbon connetor is fully seated into the Control board.
I did a full clean once and somehow didn't get the board connector fully seated.
IIRC I couldn't raise the heat level then. Sounds like a similar issue.

BTW....to get to the board. Remove the two bolts that hold the cast hopper fill door.
This will let you lift off the whole cast top panel. The control board just sits there on the right side by gravity and moves around a bit.

Also just FYI the stove will not run without the hopper fill door closed over the control board. There is a magnetic interlock switch. So if you try to test the board without the top on, it won't work unless you cheat the switch with an external magnet.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Reactions: bostonfan49
Thanks Nailer-
I took a look today- made sure everything was good and tight- but it stilled is stuck-

One odd thing I noticed is that every once in a while- the number light would flash for a split second-
I keep the thread posted as we go...

::)

Just a thought....
I know it sounds redundant.....but did you check the other end of the ribbon cable?
Where it plugs onto the main board?
Perhaps it got bumped?

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Well- as the agitator turns....

Well I got a call from a friend who bought the same stove that I did, when I did...

He told me that his stove will not turn on...at all....he unplugs it, the plugs it in...the board on top lights up but then nothing- no response.

I tell him what Nailer told me- make sure the connections are good- he checks the connections- all are good- re-installs...

Stove lights up---then after 10 minutes shuts down... during the time of operating - he also cannot change the temp level.

Like mine it is stuck on two....

Very bizarre

Enviro55

OK- I think it is fixed- I say think because I just cleaned and started it up- I was able to move the heat range but on tried it once...
The problem was this:
I wired had dropped onto the black weight of the blower motor and it rubbed the insulation off- my guess is that the wire shorted out against the motor.

I cover the wire where insulation was worn off and supported the bunch of wires with a wire tie...

Hopefully that was it...I also took the opportunity to put a surge protector before the plug of the stove....

Will keep you posted on my stove...
Regarding my friends- it seems that the switch that changes from Manual to automatic got moved off Manual- which might be why he stove would not operate at all...He was going to let me know

But for Now....Cheers!!!

Snap ties are *almost* as good as duct tape;lol Something that other Enviro M55 owners should maybe check out to make sure wires are secure and not prone to movement or extreme heat. Hopefully cures your issues so keep us posted!

Reactions: libirm