Enviro Empress doesn't want to start.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tinhorn

Jan 25, 2014
SE Massachusetts
Midafternoon on Christmas Eve...cleaned the stove before heading to the relatives', just a couple days before predicted overnight lows in the single digits for the next week. Hahaha--timing is everything.

Dropped a generous pinch of pellets into the burn box, closed the doors, pressed the ON/OFF button, heard the fan start like always, heard a few pellets drop like always, but after several seconds the stove just shut down.

Unplugged the unit (to possibly reboot anything that might need to reboot), waited several seconds before plugging it back in, then hit the button again. Same results. Unplugged it one more time, waited about ten minutes in case it needed to cool off or something (never an issue in the past) then hit the ON/OFF button again. Same results--went through a several-second startup process then just shut down. Poof. No blinking lights, nothing.

I've read the owner's manual, and tried to find useful information in the Installer & Service Tech's manual. Tried Google and YouTube. I cannot figure out where to begin troubleshooting aside from the reset button on the 200-degree Manual Reset High Limit Temperature Sensor. (It didn't reset--didn't appear to be tripped.)

I would certainly appreciate any suggestions, but please use little words. I'm mechanically adept but electronically challenged. In fact, I've traced the downfall of western civilization to the invention of the transistor.

Suspect no vac . Check that door and ash pan doors are latched after cleaning .
and that nipple and hose to vac switch are clean and clear .

Reactions: tinhorn
Suspect no vac . Check that door and ash pan doors are latched after cleaning .
and that nipple and hose to vac switch are clean and clear .

I think you nailed it, johneh. I'd purchased this second-hand stove last summer and thought I'd cleaned it thoroughly before I installed it to replace an older, uglier, noisier Empress. I had not removed the blower, though. When I did so yesterday the manifold (or whatever it's called) was covered inside with a layer of sticky blackish dust. When I ran a toothpick through the little vacuum nipple there was resistance. I'm sure the nipple was blocked.

I suspect this created a vacuum problem as you suggested but haven't run the stove yet to know for sure. When it wouldn't start I pulled it out and reinstalled the older Empress which has been running fine. Just not as pretty, nor as quiet, nor as youthful...kinda like me.