Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAD MARK

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
So, the 30 has been in the garage for 3 weeks now. And I have some questions along with some observances. Pictures below for reference and I know the logs are close, I was knocking some snow off them quickly.

Picked this for $400 off Craigslist. Came with a few cracked bricks, no big deal. Came with the optional AC30 fan, good deal. Spent more than $400 buying the piping and whatnot. All installed in garage with insulated roof (pictures below)

1. I finally got my hands a IR gun today from work. Its a mid model Fluke so I trust it over the Rutland STT. The stove top was over 650°F at one point tonight while the STT was only showing little below 550. Is this normal? If so, there a better STT to run? Picture below for reference on temps difference. Can also see my screwed up stove adaptor I plan on fixing next year.

2. I have all the correct clearances beat by inches all around. The left side drywall that is 23" away (pictured below) was reading over 165°F. At what point should I worry about drywall and or exposed 2x4s?

3. Noticed black flakes on ground in snow when I came home today. My wife said she didn't run it over 400. With 2 kids under 2 she tends to let fire go longer than needed and not attend it much. I'm ok with that. When im home i usually run 450-500 with 18-25% MC various wood. The flakes crumpled between my fingers but there seems to be a lot. Any clue what they are? Paint flakes from brand new single wall? Creosote chips?

4. I'm still getting a strange "hot" smell when STT reaches around 400°F. Would have thought the paint is baked in by now on the single wall sections. And all pipes are facing right way with no leakage coming down. I took apart the top 2 sections of 3' triple wall thinking I was already creosoted up, but was really still very clean. And also stove was bought used so it's not stove paint. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading and any responses. Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix

Here is a video of the secondaries burning with partial air open.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It keeps my 850sqft garage way too hot if need be. I like to keep it around 78 when not out there and blow it into the living room area. When in garage I can keep it 70 with it 10°F outside on low fire STT=400. Can keep hot coals to relight in the morning 10 hours after no problem.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for the Rutland to be off. I won't own or buy one, even for a gift. Where are you measuring the wall distance from? What are dimensions D and E?

Black flakes are most likely creosote. A 10 hour relight is normal and good. Some folks think you can only get 3 hrs. when it's cold outside. :rolleyes: In milder weather you should get 12 hrs..

Last edited:
In that picture D is 21" and E is even more.

In that picture the other side D is 23" and E even more. This is the side that I showed in the pictures above as being 163°F. For some reason the closer side is about 25 degrees cooler. I'm guessing these temps will both go down a little when I put convection top on.

So, I'll get rid of the Rutland as it was included as well, what's the best brand to get Inferno? Tried to search here what the general belief is, but didn't seem to see it.

That's pretty warm. Does the stove have the rear and side shields? Does it have all firebrick installed?

For inexpensive I've had good luck with Drolet thermometers. The Condar is reported to be good too, but I haven't owned one. I only have their flue probe thermometer. If you want a 1st class thermometer to keep for a lifetime, get a TelTru. It's pricey but built as a lab instrument with a glass cover.

It's not uncommon for the Rutland to be off. I won't own or buy one, even for a gift. Where are you measuring the wall distance from? What are dimensions D
That's pretty warm. Does the stove have the rear and side shields? Does it have all firebrick installed?

For inexpensive I've had good luck with Drolet thermometers. The Condar is reported to be good too, but I haven't owned one. I only have their flue probe thermometer. If you want a 1st class thermometer to keep for a lifetime, get a TelTru. It's pricey but built as a lab instrument with a glass cover.

Rear shield is on as it's welded there. No side shields. All firebrick is in it. Although some are cracked it's there. From the video you can see my ceramics need replaced next season, it's on the list.

I'll search those thermometers up some. I'm willing to spend a little after finding the Rutland was so far off.

95% of my worries will go away when the reoccurring smell goes away.

I'd add the stove side shields or some wall shielding. 165ºF is ok, but on the edge of my comfort zone.

That's the hottest I've seen it. That's when the stove was right below 700. And, I could hold my hand on it no problem.

Just went out and reshot the wall. 143 with STT at 485.

My plans during summer are to either add insulated backdrop (masonry, stone, something) or just an air gapped wall with durorock so I can move the stove back a little more towards corner.

Rear shield is on as it's welded there. No side shields. All firebrick is in it. Although some are cracked it's there. From the video you can see my ceramics need replaced next season, it's on the list.

I'll search those thermometers up some. I'm willing to spend a little after finding the Rutland was so far off.

95% of my worries will go away when the reoccurring smell goes away.
You may be smelling the paint on the thermometer getting hot. I recently bought a new SST and noticed a “hot” smell for a while.

Mark, here’s the photo you asked for.

Attachments

• Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix
    314F8B05-AA9F-43BC-A4A9-36A4F12A5E73.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: MAD MARK
You may be smelling the paint on the thermometer getting hot. I recently bought a new SST and noticed a “hot” smell for a while.

Previous owner gave it to me used. Should burnt off smell by now. I'm still trying to track it down.

Thanks Highbeam. Saved it as reference.

I have 2 Inferno stove top thermometers and compared to my IR they are very accurate.

I have 2 Inferno stove top thermometers and compared to my IR they are very accurate.
Good to know. I have a 37 yr old thermometer on our stove that still is quite accurate so I haven't tried new thermometers except on friends stoves.

Well, I ordered an Inferno STT and also a "WoodSaver" pipe thermometer. Like the looks of both over the Rutland as well.

I found the rutland to be at least 200 degrees off compared to the IR. May have caused me to overfire at times. Glad I got the IR!

ran my 30 for six years at old place -anytime i would get close to 700deg F, I would get a faint paint cure scent .

I get a hot smell with mine once in a while. Not sure why.

I also get black flakes on my roof from the pipe. Mine is single wall inside and of course double wall through the roof and about 6' as well above the roof. I don't think much of it. I have found with single wall pipe, the cresote will build up and then fall down the pipe and get burned. Not a big deal from what I have seen so far. Nothing has ever caused a flare up or issue.

30 really likes fuel in the 15-20% class- preferable closer to 15. 25% -that extra moisture really cools things off in a hurry

I have a TelTru and a Condar. I've run them both for a while and switched them back and forth. The Condar doesn't respond as quickly, but is close to the TelTru. I would say the Condar is good for wood stove use.

Attachments

• Englander NC30 3wk review with ?s and Pix
    DSC01770.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Reactions: begreen