Englander E-1 Shutdowns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy89

Oct 20, 2014
Rhode Island
Looking for some help on my 2004 Englander 25-PDVC stove that I recently purchased.

I’m getting frequent shutdowns on the stove for “E-1”. Stove may run for several hours, even days sometimes before a shutdown occurs. Although there are times where it will repeatedly shutdown. One thing I’ve noticed that is different than my last stove is when I open the door the unit will shut down on “E-1”, past stove would only shut the top auger off and NOT shut the stove down? I’ve tried several things which are listed below, but there is one thing that has me thinking it might be an issue. When I vented the stove I ran it directly out the wall without any vertical rise. From what I’ve seen on here though people have done this and not had any issues?

NOTE: Vacuum switches installed are rated for 0.60"WC for shutdown and 0.17" for top auger? Is this correct? Looks like shutdown is supposed to be 0.05"?
  • Checked door gasket and passed dollar bill test

• New burn pot gasket

• Checked hose attached to exhaust blower and has been upgraded to steel and is fine, not blocked either

• Stove was recently installed and cleaned thoroughly before installing.

• Connections on switches, control board etc. checked fine.

• Lid is tight, but gasket is showing signs of wear and will be replaced.

Thanx

Last edited:
Looking for some help on my 2004 Englander 25-PDVC stove that I recently purchased.

I’m getting frequent shutdowns on the stove for “E-1”. Stove may run for several hours, even days sometimes before a shutdown occurs. Although there are times where it will repeatedly shutdown. One thing I’ve noticed that is different than my last stove is when I open the door the unit will shut down on “E-1”, past stove would only shut the top auger off and NOT shut the stove down? I’ve tried several things which are listed below, but there is one thing that has me thinking it might be an issue. When I vented the stove I ran it directly out the wall without any vertical rise. From what I’ve seen on here though people have done this and not had any issues?

NOTE: Vacuum switches installed are rated for 0.60"WC for shutdown and 0.17" for top auger? Is this correct? Looks like shutdown is supposed to be 0.05"?
  • Checked door gasket and passed dollar bill test

• New burn pot gasket

• Checked hose attached to exhaust blower and has been upgraded to steel and is fine, not blocked either

• Stove was recently installed and cleaned thoroughly before installing.

• Connections on switches, control board etc. checked fine.

• Lid is tight, but gasket is showing signs of wear and will be replaced.

Thanx
Where is the stove located within the house? I have this stove in my finished basement and originally it was vented 2ft through the wall with a Duravent end cap. However, after checking this site, with Englander and a friend who is a chimney installer I was advised to add a 3ft vertical, which made a huge difference. I also have the PDV upstairs and that run flawless and that is vented 3ft through the wall with Duravent end cap (go figure). E-1 is a vacuum issue. The slightest crack or poor seal in the line will cause the error code. How's your combustion blower?

Where is the stove located within the house? I have this stove in my finished basement and originally it was vented 2ft through the wall with a Duravent end cap. However, after checking this site, with Englander and a friend who is a chimney installer I was advised to add a 3ft vertical, which made a huge difference. I also have the PDV upstairs and that run flawless and that is vented 3ft through the wall with Duravent end cap (go figure). E-1 is a vacuum issue. The slightest crack or poor seal in the line will cause the error code. How's your combustion blower?

The stove is located upstairs in the living room and is vented the same as yours 3ft. through the wall with a duravent end cap.

The blower looks original, but appears to work fine, took a voltage measurement on it tonight and was 117V. The gasket looks like it could use a changing though.

The stove is located upstairs in the living room and is vented the same as yours 3ft. through the wall with a duravent end cap.

The blower looks original, but appears to work fine, took a voltage measurement on it tonight and was 117V. The gasket looks like it could use a changing though.
Outside Air Kit installed? How about a board reset?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Outside Air Kit installed? How about a board reset?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Outside air kit is installed, but I have not done a board reset.

The unit ran fine last night for about 5 hours, after that it started tripping constantly on E1, also saw E2 pop up. Looked like both switches were tripping as upper auger also stopped spinning. I figured I would clean the ash in the burn pot to see if that would help the airflow and it did, I only ran it for about another hour after that, but it didn't trip once.

I actually have a tool to measure inches of WC, does anybody know what the vacuum spec is on the exhaust blower?

Outside air kit is installed, but I have not done a board reset.

The unit ran fine last night for about 5 hours, after that it started tripping constantly on E1, also saw E2 pop up. Looked like both switches were tripping as upper auger also stopped spinning. I figured I would clean the ash in the burn pot to see if that would help the airflow and it did, I only ran it for about another hour after that, but it didn't trip once.

I actually have a tool to measure inches of WC, does anybody know what the vacuum spec is on the exhaust blower?
I have not a clue on the vacuum specs, but possibly a search on the site will reveal something. I would try a board reset first to see if that does anything. If the board will not reset that could very well be your problem. Your outside air kit... have you place your hand over it to see if there's some suction?

I think I actually figured the problem out, according to my manual my stove requires two of the PU-VS switches which are 0.17" WC. The switch that was in there is 0.60" WC. From what I can see a switch with a higher reading will trip sooner than one with a lower reading as switch is wired NO. I actually tested it and it was tripping around 0.55" WC.

Luckily the 0.60" WC switch is adjustable and I was able to re-cal it to 0.17" WC. So far so good with no more shutdowns.

Thanx for the help.

Reactions: jjones139
I think I actually figured the problem out, according to my manual my stove requires two of the PU-VS switches which are 0.17" WC. The switch that was in there is 0.60" WC. From what I can see a switch with a higher reading will trip sooner than one with a lower reading as switch is wired NO. I actually tested it and it was tripping around 0.55" WC.

Luckily the 0.60" WC switch is adjustable and I was able to re-cal it to 0.17" WC. So far so good with no more shutdowns.

Thanx for the help.
Glad you got it worked out! Honestly, you lost me after the second sentence LOL! I can do a lot of tinkering, but what you did was above and beyond! Good job!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.