Englander 55 TRP-22 top auger problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

choclab

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have been running a new 55 TRP-22 for 1 week. My wife called me three nights ago to tell me that the stove was not feeding pellets. I got her clear out the hopper and vacuum out all pellets, then she ran the stove to see if top auger was working. Top auger is not moving at all. My question is: should the top auger turn freely by hand while the stove is turned off. I have read in other posts about clearing out the auger to clear jammed pellets. I am 7000 miles from home and my wife is not comfortable enough with the stove yet to take it apart. I would like to eliminate possible causes before taking it apart. Also since new the top auger has been making a weird noise every time it engages. Any insight would be helpful.

The top auger will not move freely by hand unless the motor is removed. The noise when it engages is most likely the auger rubbing on the tube it's in. The auger(s) need to be aligned to eliminate the noise, and hopefully the motor didn't burn up from being jammed. If it did contact Englander for a replacement.

Here's a pdf from Englander on how to align the auger(s): http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/ReplacingAndAligningAugers.pdf

on my 25-pdv the pellets were not feeding to the bottom auger and we found there was a jam in the top auger. After removing the back access panel in the back I felt the top auger motor was not freely moving left to right, so Mike from Englander asked me to try to lose the jam by rapidly moving the motor back and forth and I felt it freed up the jam right away.

glad you're back up and running now.....

what happened to the noise you had mentioned?

choclab, glad to hear you're OK now. One thing to remember with these Englander is they are pretty simple stoves mechanically. Don't be afraid to work on them. With the low RPMs of the augers, it's not a big deal if they don't get alined perfectly the first time.

Oh well, it was working. My wife called me and said that now both augers have stopped turning. Geek the noise was gone for awhile but came back before the stove quit for the second time. The reason I went with the Englander was because of the user servicability, I just didn't know it would have to be serviced this much, especially when brand new!

A little tweeking to get a new stove working to peak efficiency in your home is normal. What you are experiencing doesn't sound normal to me. I'd strongly recommend that you give Englander a call and have one of the techs walk you through troubleshooting your stove. Taking a wild guess here but I'd check out the bottom auger first. If it's not aligned correctly or has a pellet jam then the top auger would automatically stop turning on as well. Have you gotten any error codes on the panel? Are there a lot of overly long pellets in the bags you are burning?

Sme of the pellets do seem to be longer than the ones my parents used back in the early 90's. I am not sure about the error codes, as I am overseas working and getting all of this info from my wife who is at the helm. The top auger was jammed with pellets, which was cleared. The noise we were hearing sounded electrical, not like the auger was rubbing against the auger tube. Tweaking a stove to get it running optimally is fine but I didn't think that it would run so poorly right off the bat. We also can't seem to get it to burn on anything below a 3-3, any thoughts? We have been trying to get through to support but to no avail. Even tried emailing, but no response.

Mike, aka stoveguy2esw, works at Englander. Click on the member list link above and drop him an email. I know it's their busiest time of year and he probably doesn't have time to read these boards but I'm sure that he'll be glad to help you out. Be sure to give him a phone number where he can contact either you or your wife.

I don't mean to be insulting but since I have a similar problem with my hubby not knowing anything about our stove and how it works I have to ask...has your wife read through the manual or watched the DVD? My hubby goes into a panic at least once a week over something he thinks the stove is doing, or not doing, that he thinks isn't right. LOL! It would be amusing if it weren't so doggone aggravating. ;-)

My wife and I watched the dvd and read the manual together. She knows the daily, twice weekly, and monthly cleaning tasks that need to be done and that is as far as she wants to go with it, anything further does not interest her, especially with three small kids trying to assist her. I have sent my neighbor the troubleshooting guide for alligning the auger and we will try to work through it later today. I will keep trying support but will also PM mike from ESW to see if he can give me a hand if we still have problems. The day before I get back home it will work perfectly until 3 days after I leave next time. Frustrating for sure! Thanks for your help.

choclab said:
The noise we were hearing sounded electrical, not like the auger was rubbing against the auger tube. Tweaking a stove to get it running optimally is fine but I didn't think that it would run so poorly right off the bat.

so are you still hearing that noise?, mine is sort of "electrical" noise as well...LOL, sounds like if something was getting electrified.....

This noise usually happens when the auger has to struggle to turn. It could be as simplistic as the motor needing to be replaced, or the auger(s) centered in the tube.

rap69ri said:
This noise usually happens when the auger has to struggle to turn. It could be as simplistic as the motor needing to be replaced, or the auger(s) centered in the tube.

I think you had mentioned you aligned the auger on yours, which one bottom or top auger?
When you did it, did you JUST loosen the 4 bolts or you had to remove them and take out the auger completely?

I have aligned them both since I put the stove in, one when it was new and then both during my end of season cleaning. To align them you just need to remove the motor(s) and just loosen the four bolts. This will allow you to move the auger around and turn it to a spot where it doesn't rub the tube walls. Just make sure you remove the pellets from the stove first so the augers will move freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.