England Stove Works Madison - Creaking Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

may79

Jan 29, 2020
Central PA
I just installed a new Madison, completed the break in fires and started firing at normal operating temps. Once the secondaries kick in, there is a creaking sound almost like expanding metal coming from somewhere inside the stove. The problem is the sound does not stop until the fire reaches the cooling phase. It is extremely annoying. Anyone else have a Madison that has experienced this, or have any idea what is causing it? I extremely happy with the stove otherwise.

Has anyone with a Madison experienced this? It is not the normal expansion sounds that happens when metal heats/cools; I'm very familiar with that. This sound starts when the stove is up to temp and the secondaries really kick in. It's a constant creaking sound; like metal fatiguing and is about ready to break.

You have to turn the volume way up, but it can be heard in the background. It is much more noticeable in person, the phone is picking up a lot of white noise.

Yep, pretty tough to make out what you are hearing. Instead of the stove body, could the noise be coming from the thinner gauge air tubes expanding?

That is very possible. If so, that is very disappointing. I know it doesn’t sound clear in the video due to the white noise, but it is loud enough to hear it over the TV. It’s driving me a little nuts. Hopefully it goes away as I use the stove more.

The sound is exceptionally bad tonight; here is another video. It is tapping really loud in addition to the creaking. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1648.MOV
    19.3 MB
I would embrace it. That is the sound of fire and expanding steel. I'd rather listen to that than the TV.

I dont hear anything that would bother me but my hearing isnt the best. Turn the tv up.

Thanks for all the replies. From all the feedback it seems likes it just normal metal expansion. It seems really loud to me though. I was running a Defiant Encore prior to this and it was whisper quiet. On start ups and reloads you could hear a little metal expansion occurring in the pipe and some low rumbling when the cat was really lighting off; so this is a big change.

Yeah, a steel stove's firebox is a welded together, creating a single part. As the stove heats, the temperatures of the steel at different locations is not homogeneous. This puts a lot of stress on the weld joints as the steel expands ununiformly. Your VC stove was bolted together, allowing for more easy movement between the parts that made up the firebox.

It is the 50-SHSSW01. This thing definitely takes the grand prize of noisiest wood stove I’ve ever been around. I belong to two different camps that both have steel stoves, my in-laws have a steel stove and they have some creaks and pops but nothing like this. Last night when a took the latest video I was starting the think there was a little gnome stuck in the stove wrapping the side wall with a hammer trying to get out. I definitely understand they’ll be some creaks and pops, especially at start up/cool down This just seems excessive though. Perhaps it’s not.

When I get home from work tonight I’m going to check the stove over real well. Perhaps there is a cracked or cold weld. If I find nothing I guess I’ll just live with it. I did email ESW the video, I’ll let everyone know their response.

It is the 50-SHSSW01. This thing definitely takes the grand prize of noisiest wood stove I’ve ever been around. I belong to two different camps that both have steel stoves, my in-laws have a steel stove and they have some creaks and pops but nothing like this. Last night when a took the latest video I was starting the think there was a little gnome stuck in the stove wrapping the side wall with a hammer trying to get out. I definitely understand they’ll be some creaks and pops, especially at start up/cool down This just seems excessive though. Perhaps it’s not.

When I get home from work tonight I’m going to check the stove over real well. Perhaps there is a cracked or cold weld. If I find nothing I guess I’ll just live with it. I did email ESW the video, I’ll let everyone know their response.
If my stove sounded like that, I would be upset too. My stove makes some expansion pings on cold start up, but only a few and then it is quite.

It is considerably better this season, but is still has its moments. One night last week it was ridiculously loud with the creeks and pops and it hadn't done it in a while. There is no rhyme or reason for why and when it decides to be noisy. I just reloaded it about 30 minutes ago and it is up to temperature with the air closed and flue damper about 90% closed, it is cruising along pretty quiet at the moment.