Elmira Stove Works 2800 Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

caeguy

Jun 25, 2017
Ontario
Greetings fellow wood-burners! This is my first post here, so be gentle if I've posted in the wrong spot!

We've been burning wood regularly in an Elmira Stove Works fireplace insert for years, and quite like it. We've now got a cottage that's in need of some upgraded winter heating, and I've found a lightly used Elmira Stove Works 2800 wood stove with all chimney parts removed from a house locally. I've found the manual via on-line search, but cannot find any other information on this stove. Would anyone here have experience with this stove? I'm wondering about heat output, operating characteristics, issues to watch for, etc.

There are a couple broken firebricks, but overall it looks to be lightly used. The manual does indicate it has a secondary combustion capability, and the label on the back indicates it meets July 1990 EPA requirements, for what that's worth. Based on the sketch below, I'm thinking it's a conventional (non-catalytic) style stove. Have I interpreted this correctly?

Elmira Stove Works 2800 Wood Stove Elmira Stove Works 2800 Wood Stove

Bump... Anybody know anything at all about these stoves? From searching the forums they don't appear often, but are pretty popular locally.

Based on the sketch below, I'm thinking it's a conventional (non-catalytic) style stove. Have I interpreted this correctly?
I've never seen one but based on the illustration I would agree that this is an early EPA, non-cat with preheated secondary air. The manual is pretty good but doesn't list specs. It appears to be jacketed which contributes to close clearance specs, especially if double-wall stove (smoke) pipe is used. For best performance install with 6" stove pipe and chimney pipe with a total flue length of 16' or more. Burn dry, fully seasoned wood for best results.

This is a reasonably modern stove. Moving from the classics to the main forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. OK, I was wondering about its eligibility in this forum, but given the 1990 mfg date, figured perhaps it was a 'classic'.
Size-wise, it's pretty similar to the Super27, so I'm hoping it'll have similar performance. It's going into a poorly insulated 800 sq-ft cottage for occasional winter weekend use.

Should do ok with dry wood and a proper chimney. Let us know how it works out.

It came with 15 ft of class A pipe, 'Tee', flashing, cap, clamps, black pipe, etc - a complete kit as removed. I'm hoping I have pretty much all I need to install, as my installation will be the same - through the wall and straight up beside the gable end of the cottage.

Greetings fellow wood-burners! This is my first post here, so be gentle if I've posted in the wrong spot!

We've been burning wood regularly in an Elmira Stove Works fireplace insert for years, and quite like it. We've now got a cottage that's in need of some upgraded winter heating, and I've found a lightly used Elmira Stove Works 2800 wood stove with all chimney parts removed from a house locally. I've found the manual via on-line search, but cannot find any other information on this stove. Would anyone here have experience with this stove? I'm wondering about heat output, operating characteristics, issues to watch for, etc.

There are a couple broken firebricks, but overall it looks to be lightly used. The manual does indicate it has a secondary combustion capability, and the label on the back indicates it meets July 1990 EPA requirements, for what that's worth. Based on the sketch below, I'm thinking it's a conventional (non-catalytic) style stove. Have I interpreted this correctly?

View attachment 198186 View attachment 198188

Gold plated door!

When you install it make sure you have an easy way to disconnect the black stove pipe because it looks like it would be difficult to clean out any ash that falls down the chimney via the front door. And I can't tell from the illustration whether there is a place for ash to build up harmlessly or if it will immediately start constricting the area around the flue collar and degrading performance. If you only have a 15' flue I would spend a bit of money on new double wall stovepipe to enhance the draft..

Just guessing but it looks like the rear firebrick baffle might be removable for cleaning.

Gold plated door!
Yes, very posh indeed! I may need to get a new teacup and stock up on Grey Poupon!

...ash that falls down the chimney via the front door.
Sorry, I'm not clear on what you mean here. Are you referring to build-up in the area circled in blue below? If so, point taken, and I'll keep access in mind. Not sure on the removal of the firebrick baffle as begreen mentioned, but I'll take a look as I check it over prior to install.

Thanks to you both for the input.

This is the part that looks like it may be removable by tipping it up in the rear, then dropping it down in front. We'll need you to try it out to verify.

Yes, very posh indeed! I may need to get a new teacup and stock up on Grey Poupon!

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you mean here. Are you referring to build-up in the area circled in blue below? If so, point taken, and I'll keep access in mind. Not sure on the removal of the firebrick baffle as begreen mentioned, but I'll take a look as I check it over prior to install.

Thanks to you both for the input.
View attachment 198337

Yes, the blue area.

I'm curious what the long horizontal element depicted is. I would assume it's just a retainer for the top of the firebricks but the three dashed lines inside makes me think it's something else.

Yes, I was thinking firebrick retainer too. @caeguy can you post some interior shots of the stove's firebox?

Yes, the blue area.

I'm curious what the long horizontal element depicted is. I would assume it's just a retainer for the top of the firebricks but the three dashed lines inside makes me think it's something else.
Here's what I see in that area with the firebricks out. It looks like it can be cleaned up to the stack without issue once the firebricks are out.

One oddity I noticed is that some firebricks are noticeably heavier than others - perhaps some have been replaced over time?

Here's what I see in that area with the firebricks out. It looks like it can be cleaned up to the stack without issue once the firebricks are out.

One oddity I noticed is that some firebricks are noticeably heavier than others - perhaps some have been replaced over time?
View attachment 198359
Yes, that looks easy to clean. Wondering what the big flat bar across the opening is about?

It's possible that different materials were used originally. Pumice firebrick is used in some stoves for its greater insulation value.