Elevated hearth extension question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TimS2

Mar 14, 2018
Iowa
Hello all. I have a question regarding the material to use for a hearth extension for a zc fireplace (RSF Focus 320). It is raised up off the floor so the hearth will be elevated as well. Roughly 12 - 14 inches or so. My main question is what material to use for the top of the hearth extension and can i use 1 big slab. The material will butt against the bottom metal portion of the fireplace. Thanks a ton .

Yes, a large slab of stone is ok for a hearth extension as long as it is deep and wide enough to meet the minimum requirements specified in the manual (20"). There needs to be a spark guard piece of metal between the fireplace and the stone.

I'm familiar with the manual and all of the specs and whatnot for installation. I guess my main questions are what material do most use (limestone, sandstone, granite, slate..etc) and is it okay to use one large slab. If using one large slab is one material superior as far as resisting cracking when heated by the fireplace.

We've seen 1 piece stone hearths here made of bluestone, limestone, etc.. Key to avoiding cracking is choosing a stone without flaws, careful handling and a good, solid and level bed for support. I wouldn't call it superior to a hearth made with several pieces of stove for crack resistance. It could possibly be the opposite.