Electris splitter whines and trips breaker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Hello All,

I regret I've been asking for more help than I've been giving. Mea Culpa (Latin for "My bad").

Bought 5/27/16, $400, Powerhouse 7T FX128-Z. Probably have split 12 cords with it. Stored under a tarp in a car port if outside, or sometimes in the garage. But there's no guarantee it hasn't seen moisture.

Plugged it in, turned it on, and the motor whined (or buzzed) and tripped the breaker. Repeat a few times to confirm. Motor whines for 3-5 seconds and the breaker trips.

Anything I should check? Can I take off a cowling and try to turn the motor?

Thanks,
Greg

OK, took the cover off the electrical bit. Cap looks fine. No evidence that the smoke got let out of anything.

Took the cowling off the fan cover. It was not free, but only put up a small fight and then spun freely. Plugged it in and it seems to run properly.

Problem solved? <--- I feel like that's a very bad thing to say!! Generally for me in this situations, it means "on to the new problem you just discovered"...

However, I conclude that I must have missed some water/moisture events. Lesson learned. Adjustments will be made.

DSCN1958.JPG

Did you spray some WD40 on that rusty do-hicky ...

Reactions: Soundchasm
Sounds like maybe moisture may have crept into the motor & a shaft bearing or bushing stuck. I would recommend trying to keep it in a drier place. Going forward, just try to remember to spin that by hand before giving it power to make sure it's not stuck.

Sounds like maybe moisture may have crept into the motor & a shaft bearing or bushing stuck. I would recommend trying to keep it in a drier place. Going forward, just try to remember to spin that by hand before giving it power to make sure it's not stuck.

Yeah, I clearly let something get past me. I think any long-term storage will be in the garage. ;)

Reactions: thewoodlands
"Stored under a tarp in a car port" pretty much is a guarantee it has seen moisture - from condensation under the tarp. You have to figure out a way to provide some ventilation under that tarp.

fluid film does work well , but it does have a rather potent aroma for awhile. the lanolin in it is obtained from squeezing sheep's wool.

"Stored under a tarp in a car port" pretty much is a guarantee it has seen moisture - from condensation under the tarp. You have to figure out a way to provide some ventilation under that tarp.

I'm sure now that's exactly what happened. ;-)

Just bought a 4x7 utility trailer yesterday. Today I did light sanding and painting of any rust I saw. Painted 3/4" pressure-treated plywood for a bed. Will mount tomorrow.

I'm wondering if the spray might be a good treatment to help fight dry rot on the tires?? If I'm getting something new, might as well give it a good shot.

Eh, my splitter lives under a cover in the trees, I wouldn't worry too much. Think about all the excavators, dump trucks, bull dozers, and backhoes that sit outside for decades on end.

Reactions: thewoodlands