Electric log splitter help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
My yard machine electric log spliter blew the capacitor. I tried to replace it but same thing happened. I have tried to test the capacitors but I'm not to good with electric stuff. What should I look in to first

Why not give your local electric motor shop a try. There is always a reason for failure . It just might be money well spent if you need wood and have a nice pile of it staring back at you.

I replaced the capacitor and it worked for a minute or so the it went bad again. How can I check the start windings

What’s it plugged into? Large loads on long thin gauge extension cords will burn up motors.

What’s it plugged into? Large loads on long thin gauge extension cords will burn up motors.
Nope no cords just the factory cord into the outlet. I almost think on had the wrong capacitor. Because it worked for a little but then it stopped.

Last edited:
Capacitors are finicky and should be replaced with like capacitors. Just matching physical size won’t do it. It must have the same capacitance and voltage rating of the original.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
It was the same values but the temperature portion was off different and it was cold so I think that's what did it. I have one on the way that is an exact match

Reactions: Jags