Efficient Wood burner/stove recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shuabills

Oct 23, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Hey Guys, I posted this question on another thread, so I figured I'd start one up here to keep it sensical.

I have a 2100 sq house(old 3 story farm house with decent insulation but semi drafty double pane windows), 35' chimney run(insulated) and currently I have a King 2007b Wood stove that apparently is a wood hog.

I'm not a rich fellow, just blessed, so go easy on me on the pricey stuff, but I guess there are always deals out there for the high end items.

What wood stoves would you recommend?

Thanks guys.

I’ve heard good things about the Englander NC30 as a good economical stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look into the Englander (aka Timber Ridge and Summer's Heat) 30-NC, Drolet Austral II, Drolet HT2000 or 3000. With a 35ft chimney, I recommend adding a key damper to the stove pipe a little above the flue collar of the stove for better draft control.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will get hunting on those. Probably a bad time of year I bet to be looking for a wood stove or maybe a good time since people are buying new for the season and selling the old. Who knows.

Thanks guys I will get hunting on those. Probably a bad time of year I bet to be looking for a wood stove or maybe a good time since people are buying new for the season and selling the old. Who knows.
Used prices will be high now. And you won't find many sales on new

Or just buy new. The wood savings and additional warmth will pay for the stove.

Would spring time be a good time to look? Thanks.
Normally in late Jan, February the big box stores will start clearing out stoves to make room for spring garden supplies and mowers. However, that can be hit or miss. AM/FM Energy is the Englander outlet store. Also, I think Menards sells Drolets. Last I checked they had the Myriad II which is essentially the Austral II without heat shields. It's a heat monster, but with larger clearance requirements.

Edit: Looks like they are clearing out stock and it is on clearance sale at select stores. Make sure your stove location can accommodate the clearance requirements (24" to the side if wall is unprotected).

Last edited:
check facebook market place there still some good deals on there.