Earth Stove startup and baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

beav

Oct 2, 2024
KY
I am about to start a fire in an old Earth stove that I have installed in a new home. I bought this unit used and am wondering about whether or not there should be some sort of plate/shield below the entrance of the flu pipe. Or, is it designed to have a direct entrance from the flame? Please see picture.
[Hearth.com] Earth Stove startup and baffle?
[Hearth.com] Earth Stove startup and baffle?

Sure looks like it needs a baffle. Without it, the efficiency will be very low and it will be a wood pig. Here's an old thread on the topic.

Reactions: beav
Sure looks like it needs a baffle. Without it, the efficiency will be very low and it will be a wood pig. Here's an old thread on the topic.
Thanks much - perfect!

Having flashbacks from my childhood in the 80's. I grew up with that exact stove. I do remember a baffle that had to be removed when it was cleaned.

LOL, sorry I can't remember much about it. Except that it was extremely light. Currently I have a Napoleon and I would imagine that it's the same or similar material that it uses. Someone on here surely knows what it's called.
It slid all the way to the back and that left an opening at the front of at least a couple inches.
By your pics it looks like maybe there's a bulge that supported it. That thing did heat well.

I just read the linked thread. Ours wasn't steel it was a fiber board that you could remove easily. It weighed ounces.

I just read the linked thread. Ours wasn't steel it was a fiber board that you could remove easily. It weighed ounces.
That sounds like a replacement fashioned out of ceramic fiberboard.

Anything's possible. It's been a really long time.
It worked really well though. We lived in NW Montana and ran it all winter full bore.

Sorry, just catching up...

Now, this is interesting. I do have 2 pieces of fiberboard that I thought came out of that stove when we picked it up. I was thinking that I had removed it before transport, but when I started the install, I could not for the life of me figure out how they installed since there is only a lip on the rear of the stove and nothing on the front. So, I assumed it went to something else.

So, it they do go to this stove, I have no idea how they would install.

It would be great to see pics if anyone has some. I have tried finding one on Google, but no luck. I am pretty sure mine is a model 100, but may be a 105?

Reactions: jeffoc