Duravent vs Selkirk & Northline vs Ventingpipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hesta

Mar 21, 2017
Idaho
Sorry to start this up again, but the threads on this were older, and things may have changed since then.

After having had two stoves completely destroyed in delivery, we finally got two that are in one piece. So, do I go with Selkirk or Duravent for our chimney? Selkirk (aka Metalbest) is supposed to be cheaper, but not sure about the quality or ease of build. I've talked to Northline Express, who was very helpful, and tried to talk to ventingpipe.com, who jerked me around all over the place, and still haven't gotten a quote from their associates, build.com after three weeks. They want me to talk to the manufacturers, and THEN come to them to pick out what I need. I'd prefer not having to dink around with more than one place.

Opinions on Duravent vs Selkirk? Degree of assembly difficulty? We're going to be using double wall and Class A, as according to most of what I've read on this site, single wall will make for more creosote build up.

Opinions on Northline vs Ventingpipe? Anybody used them, and had issues? Any other online purchasing suggestions?

Lowes and Home Depot around here don't carry much of anything til fall.

I'd really appreciate any input. First time with chimneys, other than cleaning them out.

I've dealt with northline, fast shipping friendly help. I was pleased with my dealing. I also have selkirk class a. I can't compare to duravent, but it's a simple locking together system. 1/8 of a turn and a band to keep them from backing off. Stainless exterior seems to hold off mother nature so far, but I've only had it up 3 years

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hesta
I've dealt with northline, fast shipping friendly help. I was pleased with my dealing. I also have selkirk class a. I can't compare to duravent, but it's a simple locking together system. 1/8 of a turn and a band to keep them from backing off. Stainless exterior seems to hold off mother nature so far, but I've only had it up 3 years

So, you went with stainless instead of galvanized? Just curious, why?

So, you went with stainless instead of galvanized? Just curious, why?
because galvanized rusts fairly quick stainless takes allot longer. Neither of those brands are the easiest to work with or the best fit and finish but they work fine. I would go with a welded seam over a crimped seam though. I know selkirk has both I am not sure about duravent. We pretty much only use ventis but I have worked on many of those 2 brands.

Reactions: Hesta and chance04
because galvanized rusts fairly quick stainless takes allot longer. Neither of those brands are the easiest to work with or the best fit and finish but they work fine. I would go with a welded seam over a crimped seam though. I know selkirk has both I am not sure about duravent. We pretty much only use ventis but I have worked on many of those 2 brands.
I plan on caulking seams when I clean this year. No problems thus far but better safe than sorry

Yes, I've heard of Ventis. How much more expensive is it? And can you tell me a good place to order it?

Would you suggest caulking seams while we're putting it up? And what do you use?
There have been the occasional issues with moisture/rain running back down the vertical seams and running down the pipe on the inside of the dwelling. Clear silicone caulk seems to be the cure.

Yes, I've heard of Ventis. How much more expensive is it? And can you tell me a good place to order it?
We order direct not sure what companies sell it.

Ventis/Olympia is good pipe, though we see much less of it on the West Coast. I think it's made in PA. ICC Excel is more common locally for top class installation. FWIW, we've had DuraTech chimney up for 11 yrs on the house and 7 yrs on the greenhouse. The house chimney is stainless, the greenhouse chimney is galvanized. No sign of rust on the galvanized yet. Duratech has no bands for the joints, it goes together quickly and they have a wide assortment of options and fittings. They also use a thicker steel for the galvanized version. I prefer stainless, but galvanized is fine for passage thru a 2nd floor or attic and then transition to stainless for exterior chimney if you want to save some money.

Here's a comparison doc for DuraTech that may help. Interesting to note that DuraTech has a slightly thicker wall stainless inner liner than ICC. Didn't know that.

Attachments

• duratech comparison.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 535
Ventis/Olympia is good pipe, though we see much less of it on the West Coast. I think it's made in PA. ICC Excel is more common locally for top class installation. FWIW, we've had DuraTech chimney up for 11 yrs on the house and 7 yrs on the greenhouse. The house chimney is stainless, the greenhouse chimney is galvanized. No sign of rust on the galvanized yet. Duratech has no bands for the joints, it goes together quickly and they have a wide assortment of options and fittings. They also use a thicker steel for the galvanized version. I prefer stainless, but galvanized is fine for passage thru a 2nd floor or attic and then transition to stainless for exterior chimney if you want to save some money.

Here's a comparison doc for DuraTech that may help. Interesting to note that DuraTech has a slightly thicker wall stainless inner liner than ICC. Didn't know that.

Thank you ever so much for that. Been checking around for Ventis, but they won't sell to homeowners. You can get the pipe, and almost everything else EXCEPT the ceiling support box from other vendors online. Weird. I'm going through a cathedral ceiling that's less than a foot thick. I'll look into ICC, but if they won't sell to homeowners either, then it'll be DuraTech (DuraVent?).

Reactions: chance04
I used Pro-Jet stainless insulated, installed in 1990 for the wood stove in our living room, which also is our primary heat. No issues with the chimney pipe. I used Selkirk stainless insulated, installed in 2007 for the Tarm Solo Plus 40 in the shop, and also no issues. I brush both once a year after the end of the heating season. Each collects a thin layer of gray fly ash type residue.

Just a point on Selkirk, they make several brands, Ultra Temp, Sure Temp, SS ans SSII, even a Galvanized outer, Stainless inner. All are interchangeable with one another. They also have Super Vent, 304 Stainless, and is NOT interchangeable with their other pipe, sold at places like Menards or Tractor Supply...
Ventis is a good pipe, just beware, that pipe is 1/2" larger on the OD, so a 6" section will be 8.5" on the OD, FYI. There are several places that sell Ventis, but they put a different name on it other than Ventis.

M&G Duravent is the mfg.. DuraTech is their good quality chimney pipe. They also make a value line DuraPlus chimney, but I'm not a big fan of that triple wall pipe.
You can buy Ventis under the Champion brand name here:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...ion-Multi-Floor-Chimney-System-Kit-6-Diameter

Hey, thank you very much. I figured I could get it somewhere, but wasn't sure. You can buy this stuff online a lot cheaper than at a regular store. Why two different names if it's the same stuff, I wonder? Looks like they have just what I'm looking for.

Why two different names if it's the same stuff, I wonder? Looks like they have just what I'm looking for.
Because Olympia told pros like us for years that they would never sell to the public. Now they are so I think they are trying to cover their tracks pretty poorly.

Because Olympia told pros like us for years that they would never sell to the public. Now they are so I think they are trying to cover their tracks pretty poorly.

I am very sorry. But trying to get somebody to do work up in my area is like pulling teeth, and they want to charge a lot more to come up here, if I can get them to come at all. DIY is pretty much a necessity around my neck of the woods. A lot of the people willing to come up here don't generally do quality work, either.

An example; I've been waiting for 2 months to get a quote for some concrete work on footings for a greenhouse. Just for a quote. Still can't get a definite date to come do the quote. And it's going to cost me $65 to get that.Too much mixing for DIY, but we got tired of waiting just for a quote, and decided to go with posts instead. Those we can do ourselves. Even in Boise, I've been told it's hard to get somebody out to get work done at your home.

I agree with others - Ventis is the best pipe you can buy.

You can buy Ventis for very good prices online from HartsHearth.com. Alan is the owner and is super nice and helpful. He has helped me many times over the phone.

I hope this helps.
Matt

Reactions: Hesta and chance04
I agree with others - Ventis is the best pipe you can buy.

You can buy Ventis for very good prices online from HartsHearth.com. Alan is the owner and is super nice and helpful. He has helped me many times over the phone.

I hope this helps.
Matt

Thanks much, I will go look at them. Appreciate the heads up!