duraplus chimney install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warmwishes001

Oct 8, 2020
tennessee,U.S.
Hi all, need a little wisdom from anyone who has installed duraplus triple wall pipe to a square support box. My question is.... should my twist lock pipe lock ,and then not spin anymore ,or is it designed to freely spin after being locked together at the support box connection to prevent over-torqueing??? I have two 36" sections attached to a support box,the pipe to pipe locks and doesnt spin anymore,however the pipe to box connection spins but is locked together(wont pull off).looking up the liner all connections look tight and uniform. Is this normal or is it going to pop off on my first burn and torch my house? THANKS,and GOD BLESS!

It should twist and lock into place. What is the part number for the ceiling support box? DuraPlus uses a different one from DuraTech.

It should twist and lock into place. What is the part number for the ceiling support box? DuraPlus uses a different one from DuraTech.
thanks for the reply! not sure of the part number,it comes with the duravent basic installation kit,11 inch ceiling support box..it says it is for duraplus chimney pipe.?. northline site says the part# is 6dt-cs24

Last edited:
northline site says the part# is 6dt-cs24
That may be the problem. 6DT-CS24 is for DuraTech pipe. DuraPlus uses the 6DP-CS24 cathedral ceiling support box.

That may be the problem. 6DT-CS24 is for DuraTech pipe. DuraPlus uses the 6DP-CS24 cathedral ceiling support box.
my mistake not 6DT .The kit is 6dp-kbsc,so I suppose the parts in it are also DP....hopefully. I finally received a call back from tech support at duravent and they said" you turned it toooo far!put a screw in it" now I cant figure out how to put a screw in the support box at the connection point....tooo narrow, and wouldnt that just put a screw into nothing? its not the same as pipe section overlaps if i remember correctly???

my mistake not 6DT .The kit is 6dp-kbsc,so I suppose the parts in it are also DP....hopefully. I finally received a call back from tech support at duravent and they said" you turned it toooo far!put a screw in it" now I cant figure out how to put a screw in the support box at the connection point....tooo narrow, and wouldnt that just put a screw into nothing? its not the same as pipe section overlaps if i remember correctly???
so how do i put a screw in at that support box connection point, can it be done or have i gone and messed my chimney installation up by turning my pipe more than a 1/4 turn??

Do you only have one section of chimney pipe? If there is a second length of pipe, then put that one on the chimney support box , then the old length above it, and screw the connection there using short, 1/2" screws.

Do you only have one section of chimney pipe? If there is a second length of pipe, then put that one on the chimney support box , then the old length above it, and screw the connection there using short, 1/2" screws.
thanks again for your time! yes i have another section(already connected) do they come apart without damaging anything(i.e. the locks).unfortunately my instructions say nothing about a quarter turn....it specifically says"turn firmly until locked." so i kept turning,but no locking occurred,haha murphy's law got me!the 1st section spins but will not pull back off(tried in several positions) so am i good?

I have the same chimney and incountered the same issue, I left it as locked but can still spin, there was no stop for mine either.

thanks for the reply kennyp,good to know that its not just me!!! so everything is operational without issues(i.e your house is still standing,God willing!!
House is still standing, no leaks in the system, I did run a bead of silicone on the outside seam length wise on the piupe, also siliconed around the storm shield, never had an issue and its been in service for about 8 years straight.

House is still standing, no leaks in the system, I did run a bead of silicone on the outside seam length wise on the piupe, also siliconed around the storm shield, never had an issue and its been in service for about 8 years straight.
Again thanks, and glad to hear all is well! I have been a little apprehensive about firing my new stove up ,because things hadn't gone according to plan, and duravent apparently thinks I only am allowed one question(havent returned any of my tech support requests).for me there is nothing much better than peace of mind that a thing will work because a goood job was done(i.e NO WORRIES!!)