Duraflame logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
NOT in a woodstove.

With that out of the way-does one duraflame type log put out much heat? Looking for something for ambiance in an open fireplace. I can look up the chimney and see there isn't much creosote (it's open from top to bottom), more dust on the walls than anything. Since it is an unlined older chimney, it's more for the look than heat-I'd just burn one at a time on a grate. If it were my house to live in, I'd put a stove and liner in it, but it's not, so...thoughts? I haven't used one of those "logs" in like 20 years and as I recall, they aren't really made for heat output.

Reactions: KennyK
I'd say just use what suits you for the ambiance effects (flame color, etc). Once you open the flue and start the log on fire, any potential heat will quickly escape anyway. The coldest house I ever lived in was only cold when the fire was lit in the open fireplace.

Having said that, there are two kinds of fire logs, compressed wood and the kind like Duraflame that is largely wax and will burn by itself pretty well, but not suited for stoves because of all the wax. Should be okay in the fireplace occasionally though.

Status
Not open for further replies.