Dura Heat 10,000 watt heater - external thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HickorySmoke

Dec 15, 2018
Iowa
Wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a way to wire in an external thermostat to this heater so I can more accurately control the temperature. Would be nice if I was able to hook it up to a nest thermostat or something similar. TIA

IMG_3697.pngIMG_3695.jpegIMG_3356.jpeg

The unit is designed to operate with the built-in thermostat which is set via the remote control. There is no external thermostat connection provided.

years ago i build a extension cord for a similar unit and wired in a thermostat into the extension cord. Can't remember how i did it for that 220v unit but it worked really well for the few years i used it..

It'd be easy enough to wire it up to a line-voltage thermostat and control it that way. If you must use a nest (don't) then you'd need to hook it up via a 24v transformer and a contactor.

Edit: actually I take that back. There might be a transformer already in there. Not sure how the board gets the signal from the thermostat though, the schematic is pretty hard to read and I don't see the thermostat.

Last edited: