Dry Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sprawlnstall

Burning Hunk
Jan 15, 2018
Minnesota
Big storm went through last summer and knocked down some nice oak. I managed to cut and stack about 10 cords last june-july. About half of the stack was dead standing oak that is dry and rest was green and was no way near being ready to burn this past winter. I recently started splitting everything for this coming winter and the highest moisture content I found was around 27% I took my measurements from the center of some of the bigger rounds. I would prefer to not have to sort through ten cords of split firewood Any idea how long I can expect to wait for the 27% moisture to be under 20%? I plan to have everything split, stacked and covered by june. I have been splitting a bit on the small side hoping to speed the drying process.

Big storm went through last summer and knocked down some nice oak. I managed to cut and stack about 10 cords last june-july. About half of the stack was dead standing oak that is dry and rest was green and was no way near being ready to burn this past winter. I recently started splitting everything for this coming winter and the highest moisture content I found was around 27% I took my measurements from the center of some of the bigger rounds. I would prefer to not have to sort through ten cords of split firewood Any idea how long I can expect to wait for the 27% moisture to be under 20%? I plan to have everything split, stacked and covered by june. I have been splitting a bit on the small side hoping to speed the drying process.
It depends on the weather the location you stack the size of the splits and how you stack.

If you want to have the best chances of drying it, split the wood no thicker than about 6". Stack top-covered, preferably in an open, sunny location where the prevailing winds can blow through the stacks. You can accelerate drying by building a temporary or permanent solar kiln over the stacks. Then hope that the summer humidity is relatively dry.

27% Oak is not gonna get too much drier over one summer unless the splits are small. Plus, the dead standing stuff you got is probably not much drier, except the limbs.
If you need dry wood for this year, scrounge <8" dead standers with all the bark gone, or get some Red Maple, which will get pretty dry over one summer.

After it's split would think you would be able to get another 7% out of it by September.

7 % in about 90 days is alot.. hes in Minnesota.. the last 10% is the slowest to get out.. the first 10% is the easiest..

Reactions: Dug8498
last 10% is the slowest to get out.. the first 10% is the easiest..
Right; As you get closer to your local moisture, the process really slows. I can only get wood to about 16% here, and that holds true in most of the country except the arid west.
To get clost to 20 youll need to have a sunny area, with some good winds going through the stacks...To definitely get below 20.. do a cheap kiln.. and your sure to have dry wood 20 and below..
Sun is less help than wind, although a sunny area will be drier locally. My stacks are in the woods, and there's always moisture evaporating unless the rain stays away for a while. 20% will work, but you'll take a bit of a hit in output with a cat stove, not sure about a non-cat.

Thanks for the responses. I was considering a modified solar kiln. My current woodshed is 16x8x6 with a steel roof. It is not enclosed so some wind should help the drying process.

If I wrapped the woodshed in plastic with a few ventilation holes near the top would it help speed up the process?

Last edited:
Better to stack outside in single rows to get more air movement through the stack. You'd have to move the wood again, though. <>
Solar kiln, the wrapped pallet should be in the sun so it can heat up and force out moisture, which condenses on the plastic and runs down and out the bottom. Use the forum search for the topic "solar kiln." There are some good threads to get you up to speed.
How much wood do you think you need for next winter?

Up here in my area it can take three years to get oak seasoned enough

Reactions: Woody Stover
I will need at least 6 cords, may have to find a new wood source for this coming year.

I'm in Northern Minnesota, near Detroit Lakes. Many loggers around who will deliver a semi of logs (10-12) cords for $75 a cord. Chances are it would not be dry. I could probably find a few cords of dry wood but it will cost $$$.

Reactions: coreboy83
If you have a lot of Pine up there, I think you can get it dry over the summer. Sure, it won't burn as long, but it should be cheap or free and will get you through until you can get some better wood dry...

Is the dead stuff below 20%? What percentage of the 10 cords does this makeup?
My guess is the 27% stuff will be down to around 22 by fall. This is burnable if mixed with dry stuff.
Since you are from Minnesota, there should be plenty of dead-standing elm around. The upper half of dead standing elm would be ideal burning wood for this winter. Go find some!

Reactions: Woody Stover
I wasn't sure about stacking this Cherry i split in April against a wall with no air flow. (Its the row in the sun light) But checked a couple splits the other day and it was ~20% already. It is west facing so maybe that and radiant heat from the bricks maybe? I do have other Cherry I checked and it was still near 30%. Just an interesting observation with wood placement and drying time.
DSC_1190 (1).JPG

I wasn't sure about stacking this Cherry i split in April against a wall with no air flow. (Its the row in the sun light) But checked a couple splits the other day and it was ~20% already. It is west facing so maybe that and radiant heat from the bricks maybe? I do have other Cherry I checked and it was still near 30%. Just an interesting observation with wood placement and drying time.
View attachment 245728
Yes, location makes a world of difference, I'm lucky to have a primo spot and can get down to 20% in two years no problem.

Reactions: Alpine1
5F81A87A-C6F5-4932-838A-92ED1490B6F0.jpeg
With my softwoods, I get 16-18% in 4 months... but this stack is in full sun from early morning till late afternoon, and has good airflow. This is the BK stack. The wood cooker stack isn’t in a so ideal place, and the sticks go below 20% in six months instead of four and are 10”x2” while BK sticks are 16”x4”

Last edited:
I wouldn't under-estimate the time for oak to dry. When fresh cut, it can take 30-36 months to be ready.

I dont stack until its dry. I cut in fall, split in early spring, lay the splits in the sun for about 6 months then stack in Oct. Summers are very warm here, even hot for a few weeks 100+, with low humidity.

Cherry doesn’t really need any help drying. I stacked a single row cord of Cherry and Sugar maple that’s in partial sun, near a wide brook, back in March. A few weeks ago the Cherry was at 11% and the maple was 23%. 22” long split as well.

View attachment 245728

As a general rule, the middle of a field should yield the best air movement but up against those brick walls you might just be baking the wood dry. LOL

The first year of seasoning oak the rate of change of moisture content can be impressive but after that it slows down to painfully slow progress.
Atlantic tropical humid climate here doesn't lend itself to drying wood as well as other parts of the country unfortunately so three years for oak is common.