Drolet vs wolf steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slo115

Feb 8, 2021
ONterrible
Hi fellas,

I am planing on removing my fisher insert( slammer install) and replace it with a wood stove( and liner). I love the huge firebox of my old timer insert its gotta be 24x16x16. But I run it hot as the installation is not even close to meeting any sort of building code. So before my house burns down I plan on installing a wood stove and liner in its place( don't care about the house, only about the dogs living in it)

So based on the size constraints I have narrowed it down to either the timberwolf 2200 or the drolet escape 1800. I will have about a 20ft inside chimney lined with a 6"stainless insulated liner. Location central Ontario, 2000sqft scabby 1970s poorly insulated bungalow. Main floor install.

Appreciate all opinions and suggestions

I can't speak to either one of these particular stoves but i have a Drolet Austral for 8 yrs now and i love it. Good quality and throws some nice heat. Escape looks like a smaller version of my stove.

The Timberwolf 2200 is a little small for my liking but wolf steel has 2 inserts listed on the EPA data base a Napoleon S25i and a Timberwolf T30i with a 2.5 cuft 18" deep firebox. I found info on the Napoleon but not Timberwolf. I own a Napoleon 1401 with a similar firebox size but different design, I am very happy with it.

I should note that I am a continental furnace dealer (wolf steel). So the timerwolf stove would be almost half the cost of the drolet.

I should note that I am a continental furnace dealer (wolf steel). So the timerwolf stove would be almost half the cost of the drolet.
Maybe you could find out if the Timberwolf T25i is available. I emailed Wolfsteel last week about that and the S30/T30 free standing stove but have not heard back. The S25i or T25i would be my choice because of the 18" depth firebox so i can load 16" splits north/south.

My preference would be for the squarer firebox. Put in the biggest one you can afford.