Drolet stove queston

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokepole

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2019
Foothills N.C.
I am thinking of replacing my wood stove with a Drolet. Do any members know which models are easy breathers and proven design?
I am looking at the Escape 1800 and the Columbia 2. I know they aren't the same size but, either should work for me.
My 13 NC has the 1/8 gap at top and bottom center of door on the stove body. Also the door is warped and it causes the glass to move around.
I am looking to replace. Thanks, Frank

Most Drolets work ok on shorter chimneys. The Escape 1800 will work on a 12' flue system. It will draft notably easier than the 13NC.

Most Drolets work ok on shorter chimneys. The Escape 1800 will work on a 12' flue system. It will draft notably easier than the 13NC.
Thanks begreen, I noticed in the specs. of the columbia it also works on a 12 ft flue. Does it have a good track record or is it a new design?

Drolet appears to have just tweaked prior designs to pass 2020 regs. They were among the first to have 2020 compliant stoves. The Columbia gained a fourth secondary tube to improve burn efficiency.

Reactions: Hoytman
Drolet appears to have just tweaked prior designs to pass 2020 regs. They were among the first to have 2020 compliant stoves. The Columbia gained a fourth secondary tube to improve burn efficiency.
Sounds good, thanks for the information begreen. Looks like either one should be a good choice.

My Escape 1500 drafts like a SOB. Even with 12 foot flue. I lost most of my heat up the flue this past winter. After discussions with SBI tech support, it was determined that I had way too much draft. I set up a manometer and got readings way above the recommended draft.
I will use two, maybe three flue dampers and perhaps restrictions on the air flow input to regulate the draft next winter.
The excessive draft could be caused by my location which is high on a hill and generally windy.

The stove is well built and their customer service has been fine.

Other people with the 1800 have told me that they like that model and get good heat. Perhaps someone will chime in.

My Escape 1500 drafts like a SOB. Even with 12 foot flue. I lost most of my heat up the flue this past winter. After discussions with SBI tech support, it was determined that I had way too much draft. I set up a manometer and got readings way above the recommended draft.
I will use two, maybe three flue dampers and perhaps restrictions on the air flow input to regulate the draft next winter.
The excessive draft could be caused by my location which is high on a hill and generally windy.

The stove is well built and their customer service has been fine.

Other people with the 1800 have told me that they like that model and get good heat. Perhaps someone will chime in.
I followed your earlier posts on the overdraft problem. I hope you can get it worked out ok.
I have an 18ft. flue, but getting to it involves a 2ft. horizontal run and 2- 45s. There are also some other issues in my old house that can affect draft. Good luck next winter.