Drolet Myriad 1 bypass damper position confirmation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
According to the Myriad 2 manual (I'm still searching for the M 1 manual) the bypass damper handle should be in the fully counter clockwise when the stove is in normal operation but I wonder if I'm doing it correctly. I would assume that generations 1 and 2 would be the same in that regard.

When the handle is in this cc position (closed) the rear portion of the flaps are pointing down at about 45 degrees and some of the flames appear to be exiting through the resulting rectangular openings. When the handle is in the clockwise (open) position the flaps are parallel to the top of the stove and I observe blue flame jets at some of the air tube holes.

I'm not a wood stove Einstein but I have a gut feeling that this is backwards and I'm sending some useable heat up the chimney.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Aha! So I was doing it backwards! Evidently the shaft rotation changed when Drolet upgraded the secondary air delivery system.

...and now I have access to a manual too. I think the fact that other models were grouped together with the Myriad is what threw me in my search efforts.

I can tell already that my fuel will go further now that it is being operated correctly. I'm seeing more heat towards the front of the stove, less towards the rear, just the opposite of what was occurring with the damper in the other position.

Thanks for the guidance!