Drolet HT2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Olsy

Jul 27, 2017
Calgary, AB
This post isn't so much about the Drolet HT2000, I know it's a great stove that probably will suit my needs. However, my house layout is a little different, which brings me here.

I need a new stove prior to winter, I currently have tired Ardent/RSF in our new to us house. The stove location is currently in the basement at one end, the basement is just under 900 sq ft.. directly above the stove is a 12 by 20ish hole in the floor to allow heat up stairs. Upstairs is about 1250 sq ft.. with the extra 350 sq ft. as an addition above the car port at the opposite end.

At the moment the basement is pretty much one large empty room, but it will become 3 kids rooms and a bathroom in the near future.

Also, on the main floor is a fireplace, it currently is a steel box fireplace in a masonry chimney. I would like to put an insert in there as well (either now or in the future and block it off for now). I know it needs to be removed in order to install an insert, but we are planning to reface the fireplace surround as well. How do we go about this in the correct order? Install new insert then replace stone? Or What? Also, we plan to install a Regency C12600.

Will this setup work? Be overkill? Not enough?

Thanks all

Sounds like overkill. The HT 2000 is a serious heater that should be able to do the job well, especially if the basement walls are getting insulated and weren't before. Will there be some supplemental heat for the kid's rooms for milder weather?

As for the fireplace, is this a heatform fireplace? If so, no need to remove the 'metal box' in order to install the insert.

I think it's a heat form fire box. But it's kinda small so can't fit much I think. We would most likely primarily use the wood stove in the basement. The kids room will have electric baseboard heaters, we will try not to use them as electric is quite expensive in the West Kootenays of Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
The basement heat will work best if there is a return air path to the stove. Will the door to the stairway be always open? If so that can be a return air path.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Yes stairs will always be open. What about the brick surround of the fireplace? Replace after?, sorry I don't know a lot about inserts and how to install them.

If the heatform is in decent condition then it can be done when you are ready. Can you post a picture of fireplace?

Our fireplace tech thinks it would be best to remove it

Attachments

• Drolet HT2000
    20170807_124923.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Drolet HT2000
    20170807_124916.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 109
Hmm, that's not quite like heatforms I have seen. Is it completely surrounded by masonry and with a masonry chimney and clay liner? Or is it a metal fireplace with a metal chimney (possibly with a stone or masonry facade)? It's a shame to remove, the stonework is nice.

Haha we don't really like the stone work, we already have the new stone. It's a bit more modern and unlike river rock. Anyways, it's a clay lined masonry chimney, I think it was masonry fireplace before and then this put in. I could be wrong. The fire place tech said the chimney and clay lining was in great shape. The outside of the chimney has this river rock facade and looks great outside. We just don't really like it inside, and won't go with my wife's interior design and our future renovations

It could be some form of insert in which case it may need to be removed first before refacing the fireplace. Sounds like you have local eyes already assessing the situation which is the best plan.

It could be some form of insert in which case it may need to be removed first before refacing the fireplace. Sounds like you have local eyes already assessing the situation which is the best plan.

That's what I am thinking. I just like more information when making decisions and large purchases like this. My biggest concern is replacing stone work after the insert is installed