Drolet Escape 1400-I Insert baffle removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fred wark

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
SE Michigan
stove is 7 years old, never cleaned. I need to remove the baffle however I cannot get the frontmost secondary air tube out. I can remove the cotterpin and slide the tube to the right far enough for the left side of the tube to drop down, but there is not enough room to slide the left side far enough to the left, for the right side of the tube to drop down. Thus, I cannot get the baffle down. Has anyone else had a problem removing this tube without bending it? How did you do it? Thanks Fred

Mine is about the same age as yours. I bought it used a couple years ago and it looked like it had never been cleaned/serviced in any way. I set about to totally dismantle it and yeah, it isn't the easiest unit to get apart. I did manage to get all the tubes and baffle out, but it took a lot of patience trying to find just the right combination of moves...it can be done. Unfortunately it has been long enough now that I can't give you any details on how I did it...just know it is possible without any property damage, and only a little colorful language ;lol
Hopefully someone here can be of more help

Do you have issues with ash getting behind the plate that covers the blower box...and then getting blown all over? I do, probably my number one grip about it...stupid design