Drolet baltic vs baltic II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedriver

Feb 12, 2014
Nelson township Ohio
I have just purchased a new Baltic stove ( 1st gen. got a great deal ) I am wondering if the changes to the Baltic II like the new secondary air system and more firebrick makes that big of a difference to burn time or ability to heat ? is it worth adding another row of firebrick like in the Baltic II. I have always heard very good things about the Baltic 1st gen. is there any down side to the older version ? or is the 2nd gen. just all about the EPA ? any info on this would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
i continued to research the Baltic 1 and Baltic 2 as well as other secondary burn stoves like them and came to the conclusion that fire brick to the top of the fire box would be helpful to keep the temp up higher in the fire box and help get better secondary burn & easier. I went one row of brick higher by drilling each brick 1.5 inches deep and used 3 inch long, 3\16 stainless pins to tie the new top row together with the bottom row. they are all in there real nice and aren't going anywhere. I got the bricks free from a local wood stove dealer who had them but does not use them . nice guy. I will find out when it's burn time how well it works or not.

Attachments

• Drolet baltic vs baltic II
    IMG_1687.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 379
  • Drolet baltic vs baltic II
    IMG_1686.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
i also added a second row of bricks in my stove last season and was able to notice quite a difference. though i just stacked them on top without pinning them together. secondaries lit off a lot sooner with the second row of bricks imo

i also added a second row of bricks in my stove last season and was able to notice quite a difference. though i just stacked them on top without pinning them together. secondaries lit off a lot sooner with the second row of bricks imo
thanks for the feedback. i am glad to hear that this idea does work and makes a difference .I have not used the stove yet. it is brand new but, I thought to upgrade any way I can now and get good results from the get go. I wonder why the mfg. just didn't have a second row from the start , even on the older model. it's not a major expense in the build. once I get it all going next, I will work on getting some control on the secondary air supply. it made a real difference on my other stove. i'll wait and see how this new one does first.

I seem to recall that they made the baffle removable in the Baltic II. Is your Baltic I baffle welded in place?

I think it is welded in place. From what I gather the new baffle is the C-cast similar to the HT-2000.

I seem to recall that they made the baffle removable in the Baltic II. Is your Baltic I baffle welded in place?
Yes, I piece welded. thanks for the reply. I would have preferred the Baltic II for that reason but, I always heard good things about the Baltic I .I don't recall any complaints about it. so I figured go for it with the great deal I got on it.

The Baltic is a serious big heater. Feed it dry wood and you will be happy.

The Baltic is a serious big heater. Feed it dry wood and you will be happy.
thanks , a " serious big heater " is what we were looking for in this 115 year old farm house with vinyl siding but no insulation. and a very cold sandstone and dirt basement. the Baltic in the living room and the smaller Blackcomb in the kitchen - dining area. and lots of dry firewood.

what is C-cast. what does it mean ? I am not familiar with that term.

It is a ceramic material used for the baffle in the top of the firebox instead of steel.

Ceramic does not warp and holds heat in the firebox better than steel promoting cleaner burning and secondary combustion. Steel baffles are pretty much history with today's clean burning stoves. Some use soft ceramic fiber board. C-cast is more durable than fiber board.

Ceramic does not warp and holds heat in the firebox better than steel promoting cleaner burning and secondary combustion. Steel baffles are pretty much history with today's clean burning stoves. Some use soft ceramic fiber board. C-cast is more durable than fiber board.
Ok, thank you for the good info. that is helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.