Drolet 3000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I’ve been looking at the Ideal Steel, but have become I interested in the Drolet 3000. I like the lower price and the clearances of the Drolet ( ember protection only). I see that the Drolet is well regarded here from the quick search I did. Does anyone have any negative experiences with these stoves?

The HT3000 came out last year. It's a nice update to the HT2000. So far reviews have been good for this stove.

i dont have a 3000 but i love my Drolet stove. Great brand for the price

I had the HT2000 but sold the house and stove along with it. Gonna miss that stove.

Did you guys find that you could run the Drolet without blower on? I ask bc my Jotul insert runs too hot for my comfort with blower off.

An insert is different than a free-standing stove because it is more like a stove inside a convection jacket. It's not an issue to run a freestanding stove without blower running. That said, it should be ok to run the insert with the blower off.

In my experience running the blower didn’t significantly change the stove top temp.

In Canada there is a promo on the HT 3000 right now $1399.00 @ Home Hardware. We have one, just started using it. After getting used to the lighting routine it works excellent. Took maybe an hour to get the heat up in new chimney and stove but once up to steam works good. We bought the blower and thermo disk for it but I regret it now for the cost. I read somewhere it only adds 2% more to efficiency, negligible in my books. We also have a stove top heat powered fan (starts fanning when stove gets hot, stops when stove cools off) which is probably enough without the rather noisy blower fan. Get 2 of those and it's still cheaper than the thermodisk and blower, and totally silent.

I bought the HT 3000 for it's large size but I'd have preferred a non pedestal, legs only style instead. Why? The stove lives in a dingy basement so aesthetics means nothing to us, it's just a stove. Would also not have to mess with an ash drawer, just use a bucket and shovel Another reason is that the Austral 3 has a slightly bigger door and a higher fire box. If your wood isn't quite small you hit he air tubes top of the fire box in the HT 3000. With the Austral 3 there is an extra 2" firebox height which would make a big difference loading bigger wood I think.

I've asked a separate question about the diff between the Austral 1, 2, and 3 to familiarize myself, just for my own curiosity. If you know the differences please let me know.

If Home Hardware would have offered the Austral III I would have bought that instead. One can obtain Drolet other than Home Hardware if you travel or order on line and pay shipping. But going with H. H. is convenient from a shipping standpoint, so we went with the HT 3000, for price and the convenience.

Drolet is a good stove brand. My brother bought a J. A.. Roby Ultimate - huge stove and good brand too, making them forever...! It works good but he's always had trouble with it smoking when he opens the door to fuel it. With the Drolet HT 3000 we've had no problems at all.

That's a really good price. The recent price increase has raised the cost of a new HT3000 to whopping $2750. It is no longer a value stove. There are also the Legend and the Myriad III versions of the Austral III with the same firebox.

I’ve been looking at the Ideal Steel, but have become I interested in the Drolet 3000. I like the lower price and the clearances of the Drolet ( ember protection only). I see that the Drolet is well regarded here from the quick search I did. Does anyone have any negative experiences with these stoves?

You’re comparing a budget noncat stove to a very high performance hybrid machine.

The IS can do things that the drolet can’t like run very low for 24 hours or very hot for correspondingly less time, that wide range of output can be very nice. However, if that is not important to you and all you want is higher outputs then save your money and go for the noncat. Cheaper to buy, no cats to replace, plenty durable and not as weird looking.

I own one high performance stove, and also a hot running noncat because sometimes that’s all your application requires.

Oh and please Woodstock, get with the times and eliminate your silly hearth insulation requirements!

One last thought, noncats are less efficient.
Does the drolet still qualify for the tax rebate?

One last thought, noncats are less efficient.
Make that often slightly less efficient and that is not universal. Morso non-cat and the non-cat tested versions of many VC stoves also qualify.

The HT3000 is a well-built, fully-featured stove. The saving at this sale price far exceeds the 26% tax credit, if you can claim it. In Canada, one cannot.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yup that drolet is a great buy at that price. canuck bucks as well.

Make that often slightly less efficient and that is not universal. Morso non-cat and the non-cat tested versions of many VC stoves also qualify.

The HT3000 is a well-built, fully-featured stove. The saving at this sale price far exceeds the 26% tax credit, if you can claim it. In Canada, one cannot.
The OP is not in Canada or looking at a morso or a vc.

That's a really good price. The recent price increase has raised the cost of a new HT3000 to whopping $2750. It is no longer a value stove. There are also the Legend and the Myriad III versions of the Austral III with the same firebox.
Same price I paid, maybe up $50 from last year.

Drolet 3000

The OP is not in Canada or looking at a morso or a vc.
The OP posted this thread over a year ago. Ended up with a Regency?

Same price I paid, maybe up $50 from last year.
Apparently that is history. SBI stoves had a major price increase this year. This is the current list price on Drolet's website.

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 2.45.25 PM.png

Reactions: Sailrmike
Apparently that is history. SBI stoves had a major price increase this year. This is the current list price on Drolet's website.

View attachment 282046
Yes but I was just at my local home hardware the other day and saw the drolet for $1399.00 cad.they had 2 in stock.and yes sbi raised the osburn 3300 800 this year.

It's nice they are holding the old price. Grab an extra.

Reactions: Sailrmike