Drolet 1200 vs Pacific Energy Vista. Efficiency and Emissions. ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 16, 2015
bc canada
Hi. I have a Older Drolet 1200 that has a really simple baffle system. I think it is just a single plate, not tubes , holes or insulation. I works good, I think I burns fast and hard to get long burns, I think it dumps out to much smoke.

Now I was give a pacific energy vista classic, just have to replace the bricks. It lists similar efficiency as the Drolet but Pacific Energy claims 1.9 gram hr vs Drolet 6.9 grams per hour. Now That seems like a huge jump.

Is the pacific energy a decent stove ?

Its for a small cabin and it's main heat source. I would rather less smoke coming out to bug people

The Drolet 1200 is an oldie and basic stove. You should find the Vista a much cleaner burning stove as long as the firewood is fully seasoned and dry.

That would depend on the wood and the flue system. How is the stove connected to the chimney? What kind of chimney is the stove connected to and how tall is it?

That would depend on the wood and the flue system. How is the stove connected to the chimney? What kind of chimney is the stove connected to and how tall is it?
single brick walled masonry without clay liner with a stainless uninsulated liner, maybe 10 or more feet, I think from the outlet at just below eye level of myself where it goes into the brick, plus the bit that goes from stove on the floor to the brick. basically about the ridge hight of a 1 story shop plus the attic above it, I think 15 is the ridge to ground. I was thinking of adding rock wool at the bottom near the ground, below the input in the masonry and maybe some at the top near the cap before the liner exits the brick. it burn good but sometimes a little back puff of smoke when opening door at lighten time

Last edited:
It's not an ideal setup, but the Vista should work ok. How large a space will it be heating?

It's not an ideal setup, but the Vista should work ok. How large a space will it be heating?
the space is about 550 sq ft, vaulted ceiling decently insulated (for a shop) and then if that gets warm enough and there is extra heat I will open some sort of opening in the walll I will make with a one way bathroom type fan and pump some heat to the other 250 sq feet room on the other side of the wall. I don't want wood dust to Travel to the 550 sq feet space where it will be mainly heating thus the one way bathroom fan type thing.

Dry wood will be your best friend. Doug Fir is good if you have it.

Is the pacific energy a decent stove ?
I would rather less smoke coming out to bug people
Do you think that it will be little harder to get the stove started and get the draft going ?
I think 15 is the ridge to ground. I was thinking of adding rock wool at the bottom near the ground, below the input in the masonry and maybe some at the top near the cap before the liner exits the brick. it burn good but sometimes a little back puff of smoke when opening door at lighten time
I can't speak to the Vista, but I recently got my SIL a T5 because it's a simple stove, and appears to be well-engineered. It's also easy to remove the baffle to sweep the chimney. It breathes very well on 15' of stack, and I can open the door when there is smoke in the box. You have to open the door slowly, and close it slowly. Her 15' is straight up though, yours has that jog where it enters the masonry chimney. The Rockwool will help, but if you insulate the liner in the chimney it will draft even better.

I can't speak to the Vista, but I recently got my SIL a T5 because it's a simple stove, and appears to be well-engineered. It's also easy to remove the baffle to sweep the chimney. It breathes very well on 15' of stack, and I can open the door when there is smoke in the box. You have to open the door slowly, and close it slowly. Her 15' is straight up though, yours has that jog where it enters the masonry chimney. The Rockwool will help, but if you insulate the liner in the chimney it will draft even better.
yes I though of insulating the liner. It's quite expensive for the materials here, maybe I should look around som some.