Draft problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davevassar

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2007
South Central MA
so, my first season burning a wood stove, everything was great until this past weekend. I got a cord of seasoned wood and started burning it, seemed a little wet but not really bad so I went back to some I knew was dry and all of a sudden no draft. Before when I would open the damper I could hear the air flow, not nothing and when I try to light it, is smolders and goes out.

It is really cold here last night and today. When it started doing it, I’d open the damper and wai 10 seconds and open the door and big puffs of smoke would come into the room and it would flame up.

This morning I pulled out the pipe and ran the brush up the liner and nothing seems to be clogging it. Any thoughts?

Check the cap. If there is a screen it probably got plugged up.

Reactions: Dix
Serious question.

Why are screens being installed in the stack? I have a SS liner in a perfectly good clay liner for my insert and the liner has a rain cap but no screen.

Serious question.

Why are screens being installed in the stack? I have a SS liner in a perfectly good clay liner for my insert and the liner has a rain cap but no screen.

Used as a spark arrestor and to prevent critters from entering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Serious question.

Keeps the critters out but they are a creosote magnet if you don't burn correctly. I've had one on the chimney for 15 years and never plugged it up. If you burn good wood at the right temp even the coldest part of the chimney will stay clean.

Screen 5/8" mesh is mandatory In Cali. And living in the country with lots of trees and brush and all the fire problems, I support this.