Double sided / see through wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ashliecrowson

Jul 27, 2017
Texas
Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to fireplaces and am trying to learn/understand.

We will be building a house soon (approx 2100sq located in Southeast Texas) The plan shows a free standing fireplace in between the dining room and living/greatroom. We have seen this house plan built in person and the owners had a double sided gas fireplace. We won't have gas and would love a double sided wood burning fireplace. This will NOT be our only source of heat. We will have central air/heat in the house. This will be more of an ambience thing BUT would be nice if it heated the house (or at least some of the house) in case of power outage. So I'm assuming we need something with a blower?

I'm confused about the difference between masonry fireplaces, inserts, screens etc. What should I be looking at/for exactly??

It doesn't necessarily need to open on both sides... it could just open to the greatroom and have a viewing window on the dining room side.

Please help!