Double Sided Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

txdaisy

Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Texas
I am building a home and am wanting a double sided fireplace. One side of the fireplace would be in livingroom and the other in the master bedroom. I have read several comments about them not putting out as much heat as a regular fireplace and also filling the house with smoke. I am also concerned about the privacy factor. I would appreciate any advise.

Welcome to hearth.com. I'm sure you'll get more technical advice from others, but I'll throw my .02 in.

As much as a fireplace in the bedroom would be nice for ambiance, think about this for a minute; would you put a window from the living room to your bedroom? As much as anything else, I would consider the lack of privacy factor.

Beyond that, double sided fireplaces are not known for their efficiency. I think you would be better off with a nice wood burning fireplace or stove in the living room and possibly a gas unit in the bedroom. I believe that code still prohibits a solid fuel burning appliance from being installed in a bedroom. I'm sure someone else can back me up on that and explain it better.

I know you can not put a wood stove in a bedroom, fireplace Im not sure, check with your local bldg dept. As far as double sided fireplaces go they suck. not only from one side but both and all your heat goes up the flue.If you want fire in the bedroom put in a gas set up but make sure you have a smoke dector and CO2 detector in there

I think you will have to chose gas for the bedroom if you want a fire.

FWIW, this year there have been a few double-sided fireplace owners here regretting the decision or asking how to convert to a single sided stove. Perhaps the romance of the double-sided fireplace is short, but the pain of high fuel bills is long.

Status
Not open for further replies.