Door Gasket - Pacific Energy FP30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bcar

Sep 18, 2023
Iowa
I installed a new FP30 last fall, as the door latch broke in with use I started noticing it was harder to tame the fire down and keep a good bed of coals over night despite all efforts to turn air down as early as I could. This spring checked seal with a dollar bill and have pretty easy movement on the hinge side of the door.
Is a break in like this normal? I didn't expect to have to deal with the gasket after one season. Almost seams like I could just pull the gasket out and shim it 1/16th or 1/32nd along the hinge side as the gasket is not damaged and obviously isn't very old.

If the gasket is still in great condition it may be able to be plumped up a bit on the hinge side by squeezing it. Or, if it can be gently removed from the hinge side due to weak glueing, then a bead of high-temp RTV can be used to adhere it. That will build up under the gasket in that area a bit.

Reactions: bcar