Does Jotul have any customer support?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enchant

Nov 5, 2016
Marshfield, MA
I'm having a problem with my Jotul F 400 wood stove, and I don't have confidence that my dealer is telling me the truth about something. Not that he's necessarily lying, but I think he's mistaken. I'd like to talk to someone at Jotul, but it looks like they don't have any customer support whatsoever. They've got a "Contact" link, but that just goes to an empty page.

What’s the problem, and what is the dealer telling you is the solution?

The glass in the stove door cracked. I called my dealer, and he said that he could order a new one from Jotul, but he said that it would probably take a couple weeks to get here, and he recommended that I bring the cracked one to this nearby glass company who supplied the correct glass and could make one much faster. That's what I did, and I had a new piece of glass the same day.

The problem is that the original piece of glass had this u-shaped metal strip along the bottom. I brought this with the cracked glass to the glass company. When I picked up the replacement, he told me that they were unable to fit the metal strip onto the new piece of glass. He had called my dealer who told him that it was mostly decorative and unnecessary for the stove to function properly. That sounded weird to me, as it isn't visible when the door is closed, so how is it decorative?

I installed the new glass and started a fire this morning. But although I had tightened the bolts as tight as I dared, once I had a fire going, it was obvious that there is a significant gap between the glass and the gasket. I suspect that the bolts are bottoming out in their sockets, but without the added thickness of that metal strip, there's that gap.

So obviously that strip is necessary. I'd like to talk to someone at Jotul who can give me an official "purpose" of that strip so that I have something to tell the glass company when I return it tomorrow for a refund.

I believe your referring to the U channel glass support - item 60 in the parts explained list.

The F400 takes 1/8" glass with the metal channel. There are a few manufacturers of ceramic glass. Robax, NeoCeram and PyroCeram. Each is a different thickness. PyroCeram is 3mm (~1/8") and NeoCeram is 5mm (~3/16"). Robax is sold in 4 or 5mm thickness. It sounds like the glass shop sold you the wrong glass for an exact replacement. They should have known this.

I think you can use the 3/16" glass. It was used in the later models, but it needs a proper glass gasket. See if you dealer has this.

Last edited:
Reactions: spudman99
The F400 takes 1/8" glass with the metal channel. There are a few manufacturers of ceramic glass. Robax, NeoCeram and PyroCeram. Each is a different thickness. PyroCeram is 3mm (~1/8") and NeoCeram is 5mm (~3/16"). Robax is sold in 4 or 5mm thickness. It sounds like the glass shop sold you the wrong glass for an exact replacement. They should have known this.

"Neo". That sounds familiar. I think he might have mentioned that when I initially went in.

I'm going to bring the door down there tomorrow. I think I'd just like to get a refund and buy an official glass replacement from the dealer.

Sounds like your dealer is more of a hardware store maybe, not so much a specialty hearth store?

With the Castine, the metal was added along the bottom after the Castine had many glass breakages, we went through a bunch of them too. After that metal strip was added, it definitely helped with the glass breaking less. 7-10 days getting glass from Jotul is the norm if they have it in stock to ship. After my first old wood stove (a Better n Bens 904, 907 or something like that) glass broke, I learned to have an extra piece of glass always on hand- it works. Never have had to replace one since, the glass went (and sometimes ceramic baffles too) with the stoves as spare new parts. Seems a little silly, but it has been my habit.