Does faulty door rope gasket cause dirty glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I have a St. Croix Hastings stove which has been going strong for years. I replaced the gasket once, but I did the dollar bill test and there are some loose spots. Will that lead to the glass getting dirty quick? I've cleaned the stove well. The flame pattern is very good and sharp. Not really getting black glass, but in less than a day I'm getting a lot of brown soot, especially towards the top and sides of the glass. I've ordered a replacement gasket and just wondering if that will help. Thanks.

Hi
Make sure the trap door behind the ash pan is cleaned out. That is the trick with that stove.

Pretty sure mine is an older version which doesn't have that trap door
If yours does not have the trap door, that area still must be cleaned for good performance and is much harder to clean! To clean that out, I remove the exhaust blower and stick a brush way down in there, then use an air compressor and a leaf blower at the same time! Then the stove will work like new again!!

Which fan are we talking about here (see attached pic)?

Attachments

• Does faulty door rope gasket cause dirty glass?
    Capture.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 90