Does anyone here sift or screen their pellets? If so what do you use ? and how much was it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Personally I wouldnt waste your money. I burnt pellets for years and never "ruined a auger motor" from fines. Unless you are using a really crappy pellet, I dont see much use in it. I also burned a lot of Cubex pellets and never had that much fines as in the picture. Oh yeah, if you do end up getting one, make sure you sift it in the living room like they demonstrate. Im sure you will love all the dust that settles all over the furniture!

Michael6268 said:
Personally I wouldnt waste your money. I burnt pellets for years and never "ruined a auger motor" from fines. Unless you are using a really crappy pellet, I dont see much use in it. I also burned a lot of Cubex pellets and never had that much fines as in the picture. Oh yeah, if you do end up getting one, make sure you sift it in the living room like they demonstrate. Im sure you will love all the dust that settles all over the furniture!

lol i thought that part was stupid too
but it does sound like it might work however i would sift then put in a container for storage (pellets)

Alternatively, you could purchase a mesh garbage pail that looks identical to that "sifter" for 9.99 at your local Walmart. That is, if you really think the fines are a problem. I've never known ANYONE that used one of those and some of them are still running pellet stoves from the beginning on the pellet stove revolution.

Damn that's a nice sifter (good for rinsing and draining a giant spaghetti dinner for 20). Don't waste the money. pellets, some get more fines than others, handling of pellets is more of an issue and storage and shipping and handling again. Fines are not a huge problem unless there are as many in the bag as shown in the picture, these you should be able to catch as you pour the bag in.
Methinks the picture is a bit exaggerated.

5 years of pellet burning and nary a one sifted. Oh woe, what was I missing?

Why would you want to make more work for yourself + dust? If the pellets have so many fines that they need sifting, it's time to switch brands.

Better to use your time to protect those fish from the cold snap coming. Are the garage doors insulated yet?

I just got back from servicing a pellet stove where the fines had jammed the auger and the auger motor stop had broken off. I took about a gallon of sawdust out of the hopper. Remember, not everyone gets it. Products like this can be useful for those type who don't understand how to keep the fines in the bag. Some of you guys are handy and can handle the fines issue without spending money on such a gadget. But there are many customers who would be better off screening their pellets first.

Sean

Is this common Sean? I'd think they'd be better off buying a different brand of pellets. Or perhaps this isn't an option in your area? I've burned at least 5 brands including cheapies from Home Depot and this never was an issue. I never did anything but pour the whole bag in the hopper. If I had that much fines per bag, I'd return them as sub-standard.

BeGreen said:
Is this common Sean? I'd think they'd be better off buying a different brand of pellets. Or perhaps this isn't an option in your area? I've burned at least 5 brands including cheapies from Home Depot and this never was an issue. I never did anything but pour the whole bag in the hopper. If I had that much fines per bag, I'd return them as sub-standard.

everythng I burn is "premium" but of course there are fines that you can see... but have you ever poured a bag into say a bucket and seen how the entire thing is covered with a thin layer of "dust"... =fines those are on the pellets and not sitting on the bottom of the bag...i have cleaned my harman very throughly and sometimes it makes some noisees because its just moving an accumilation of fines and then its ok.... but look at you hopper after letting it run out and wipe your hand on it... eventually that makes it in your stove
i would like the idea of sifting because i want to burn a mixture of pellets so while i am dumping bags into one contain i would like to see what i could get out of it

Well I've been there and done that... the massive amount of fines getting into the hopper see this thread.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3921/

The average amount of fines is usually minimal and the stoves can handle it, however the stragler bag can find it's way in there. This was a very rare situation but I really wouldn't want to add yet another step to running and maintaining the stove.

Never did screen pellets but I do screen my feedlot corn which is really nasty. Nothing elaborate needed really. Just go to True Value and buy a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth. I think thats what they call the other grades of screen. 1/8 is too fine and anything bigger than 1/4 is too big really. I just made a quick frame of 2 by 4 lumber and pour it down set on an angle. Works fine and low tech. Leave the bottom end open or nearly so to let the corn flow out the bottom rather than over the sides as it falls. If you are using corn 1 ton will give you enough cast off to keep all the birds in your neighborhood happy all winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.