Do modern stoves need a floor air intake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kharin

Dec 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Help!

We just purchase a new home and is redoing the floors. I wanted to know if modern fireplaces require an air intake in the floor like my current Avalon 1990 Rainier one or can we seal it up with our new floor and when we replace the stove, we can try to reuse the existing chimney.

For context, the home is built in 1975,1,200 sqft single story and the fireplace is in the living/dining/kitchen area. The current air intake ends in the crawlspace and as for newer fireplaces, we're looking at the Morso 6140.

(First post, so advance apologies if I posted in the wrong section...)

Attachments

• Do modern stoves need a floor air intake?
    Floor-withAirIntake.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 91
Pretty sure you mean outside air intake (OAK) in which case some stoves do some don't. Most will install either way I "think" some installs require an OAK for instance mobile home applications.