Do I need to replace this liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chuck Pearson

Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2005
Adrian, MI
My chimneysweep says I need to replace the lower section of my liner because of a gap in the inner part of the liner. This is a double-wall liner with an inch of insulation between the inner metal and the outer metal. All of the load is borne by the outer metal. Since the insulation is still in place and there is no reason for the gap to grow further, I am skeptical that I really need to replace it, even though he would need to recommend that to be on the safe side. What do you experts think? One photo is of my liner and the other is the Security Chimneys liner design. Thanks.
Do I need to replace this liner? Do I need to replace this liner?

My chimneysweep says I need to replace the lower section of my liner because of a gap in the inner part of the liner. This is a double-wall liner with an inch of insulation between the inner metal and the outer metal. All of the load is borne by the outer metal. Since the insulation is still in place and there is no reason for the gap to grow further, I am skeptical that I really need to replace it, even though he would need to recommend that to be on the safe side. What do you experts think? One photo is of my liner and the other is the Security Chimneys liner design. Thanks.View attachment 261214View attachment 261215
Yes that section of the chimney is shot and needs replaced without question. And just a correction what you have is not a liner it is a prefab chimney

Reactions: moresnow