Do I need a Flue temp gauge if my stove has a cat temp probe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dajolu

Nov 27, 2023
New York
My Hearthstone GM 60 is a cat stove with a cat temp probe. Is that ok to just use that to keep the stove burning safely or do I need a stove pipe thermometer as well?

Generally you should not run the stove based on a cat probe.

Cat probe doesn't tell you how much heat is produced by the stove, or how much heat goes up the flue.

Reactions: Highbeam and Dajolu
Generally you should not run the stove based on a cat probe.

Cat probe doesn't tell you how much heat is produced by the stove, or how much heat goes up the flue.
I would agree that a flue probe will help you run your stove efficiently to get the most out of it. But for simply safe operation you can get by with just the cat probe. I personally will be adding a flue probe this year as I want to dial things in.

After having all three on my cat stove I threw away the stove top meter and find that flue temp and cat temp are both required for safe operation. Of those two, flue temp would be the most important.

Turns out you can easily overtemp your flue while warming up with the bypass open long before the cat meter indicates that it is time to close the bypass. A well designed cat stove really can't overtemp the catalyst so that gauge isn't too important after cat engagement.

After having all three on my cat stove I threw away the stove top meter and find that flue temp and cat temp are both required for safe operation. Of those two, flue temp would be the most important.

Turns out you can easily overtemp your flue while warming up with the bypass open long before the cat meter indicates that it is time to close the bypass. A well designed cat stove really can't overtemp the catalyst so that gauge isn't too important after cat engagement.
I get that for sure, but I've seen folks on here recommend closing their bypass if the fire is burning robustly after 5-10 minutes to avoid overtemp on the flue. I did this last year with good results never stalled it out.

I still agree that a flue probe is worth the investment and is the ideal way to operate, but OP was more curious if it was possible and safe which it seems to be.

Woodstocks, a fine brand, used to be operated with the stove top meter only. A good operator could run with no meters and probably be okay.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
I think that most stoves used to be operated without any thermometer ("used to" all depends on how far back you go).

Yet a starting operator of a modern stove would much benefit from in particular a flue temperature measurement.

I’ve always monitor all three but the flue temp is always the most looked at and reacts quicker during cold starts.

Reactions: Highbeam