Do I need a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, I have been burning my new GM60 for about ten days now and am finding that it is a bit difficult to back it down to a level I am comfortable with to leave alone for any length of time. Please see the attached pics. After the stove is up to temp, I let the burn go down to red coals, @ 275 degrees. I then add two larger splits (oak and ash) and back down the air intake all the way. The splits catch nicely, secondary burn ignites. Then, the splits continue to get hotter and the stove temp rises to 450-500 with slowly increasing flames. In the pics below, I did just as I mentioned, but have closed off the air intake opening 75% with tin foil, (perfect). The stove will settle down to 400 then try to get hotter after 20-30 minutes if the inlet hole is not blocked off. I would like to have it stay at 400 with the air intake level closed and not having to block with tin foil. Am I missing something?

IMG_1634.jpg IMG_1636.jpg

Last edited:
Good Day, I have been burning my new GM60 for about ten days now and am finding that it is a bit difficult to back it down to a level I am comfortable with to leave alone for any length of time. Please see the attached pics. After the stove is up to temp, I let the burn go down to red coals, @ 275 degrees. I then add two larger splits (oak and ash) and back down the air intake all the way. The splits catch nicely, secondary burn ignites. Then, the splits continue to get hotter and the stove temp rises to 450-500 with slowly increasing flames. In the pics below, I did just as I mentioned, but have closed off the air intake opening 75% with tin foil, (perfect). The stove will settle down to 400 then try to get hotter after 20-30 minutes if the inlet hole is not blocked off. I would like to have it stay at 400 with the air intake level closed and not having to block with tin foil. Am I missing something?

View attachment 267253 View attachment 267254
You are using a stove pipe thermometer on your stove top. The temperature ranges are totally wrong. My typical stove top temps on my non cat were 600 to 800

Well....that's of interest! Simple enough. Am I adding wood with the stove too hot because of the wrong thermometer? Stove top temp on a CAT stove? Thanks!

Last edited: