Distance to non-Combustible walls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
The room that I will be installing my nc-30 in has stone structural walls that are exposed in the inside. The exterior is stucco. The fire Marshal for my town says just to leave enough room for air to travel behind the unit. He stated 8" should be safe. Will this be safe? It will be installed in a corner and in my layout with cardboard i had the corners of the stove 9" from the stone walls.

have a look see at the manual for the stove. any manual i've ever seen has all the different positions you could put the stove in. there are alot of people on this forum that use the stove that you have. hopefully someone will get back to you. if you are saying that you have stone walls that's good for a close to the wall install unless behind the stone there is wood structure then the stone would have to be 1 inch off the wood or combustible surface for air to flow and keep cool.

The manual states nothing about non combustible walls hence the question. The walls are solid stone about 17" thick than another 2 " of stucco on the exterior.

If there's absolutely nothing to catch fire then I don't see how any distance is required. I would space it 8" just so you are no transferring so much heat out through this wall. In fact if the wall wasn't insulated, I'd consider building some sort barrier to limit heat transfer.

CarbonNeutral said:
If there's absolutely nothing to catch fire then I don't see how any distance is required. I would space it 8" just so you are no transferring so much heat out through this wall. In fact if the wall wasn't insulated, I'd consider building some sort barrier to limit heat transfer.

if that wall is 100 % masonry right thru than it's going to be a big heat sucker. just like having a stove in a unfinished basement, but i have a stove in the unfinished side of my basement and it does work. it takes a few hours to heat. in my basement i have to get the walls up to temp before anything else gets heat. and once heated it takes a while for it to cool off. so your rock wall will take a few to heat, but once it's heated it should act like a good buffer. my stove in the main house is in a corner. the whole hearth and walls are real brick. it takes a few to heat the wall but once heated the stove could go out and i'm still getting heat of the walls.

did you build the wall?
what is the wire that holds the stucco attached to?
normally it is attached to the sheathing (wood) which is attached to 2 x 4's

fbelec said:
CarbonNeutral said:

if that wall is 100 % masonry right thru than it's going to be a big heat sucker. just like having a stove in a unfinished basement, but i have a stove in the unfinished side of my basement and it does work. it takes a few hours to heat. in my basement i have to get the walls up to temp before anything else gets heat. and once heated it takes a while for it to cool off. so your rock wall will take a few to heat, but once it's heated it should act like a good buffer. my stove in the main house is in a corner. the whole hearth and walls are real brick. it takes a few to heat the wall but once heated the stove could go out and i'm still getting heat of the walls.

did you build the wall?
what is the wire that holds the stucco attached to?
normally it is attached to the sheathing (wood) which is attached to 2 x 4's

no the house was built in 1940. I don't see the stucco being attached to wood of any sort on the exterior but i really can't tell. There is no visible sign that it is.
I understand that it will suck a lot of heat but it really is my only choice in placement in the house.

if there is no wood, have at it. it's not as bad as i or anybody is telling you about the heat sink. really, once you get that masonry warm it will help you more than hurt you. it's going to be your buffer zone. you'll know what i mean when you fire up the stove. my stove in my unfinished basement works the same way. i need to get the stove screamin, once the foundation is warm, it takes a few days for it to cool down.

let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.