Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
It does not always come out this way but more dirty than clean even though the dishes are clean! Just does not seem very good!
It is an Electrolux model EIDW1805K51B
The circulation pump assembly is very common part # 5304512880 is very common. The pump motor by itself can be purchase for less but from what I have seen the assembly which comes with the starting capacitor is easier to replace and it is best to have a new capacitor as well.
Therefore I watch a video on how to replace it and I was all set with turning off the water and shutting off the 15 amp circuit breaker. The washer was easy to pull out and lay on a blanket on its right side since I had made sure that was possible with enough slack in the romex, drain hose and water supply line. Saved some time in disconnecting them and reconnecting them. LOL
Pulling out the Hot and neutral quick disconnect clips to the motor was easy. However to my dismay all the motor hose connections were pex style cinch connectors! There is a pex tool to remove them but I found if you snip them at the pinch from top down with regular wire cutters it works quite easily! Then the nice stainless steel radiator clamps that at Lowes are easy peasy replacements. I just picked up 2 - 1/2” to 1-1/4” for the small connections and 3/4” to 1-3/4” for the large connection.
Before installing the new motor, I cleaned the dirty pink sludge out of the hoses with a bottle brush. The bracket that holds the old pump on came out with the old pump and 2 screws and cold be easily slipped on to the new motor and screwed back in. Keep in mind the position with the bracket facing up and the starting cap facing down. Also put the radiator clamps on the rubber hoses before inserting the new pump assembly.
After putting it all back together, I pulled the drain hose off the sink connection. Then I pulled the compressor house up from the 80 gallon compressor with it set to 90 PSI and blasted it with black bits and water spewing out of the bottom of the dishwasher like mount St Helens LOL. I did catch most of it with a 15 gallon stainless steel shop vac. :)
By this time it was after supper and time for a 2 hour test wash!
The blue light came on next to clean. Opened the dishwasher and there was clean water below the filter screen and the whole inside smelled clean and fresh!!
As a double check I looked up the following:
“It's normal for some water to be in the bottom of an Electrolux dishwasher after a cycle has finished, and some water in the filter area is also normal. The water in the filter area keeps the seals from drying out, and it drains when a cycle starts and is replaced with fresh water at the end of the cycle.”
Looks and smells good now. :)

Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!

Last edited:
your always going to have a little bit of water in the bottom, usually it will circulate out so it does not smell but when my diswasher stinks i just toss a cleaning pellet in it and run the cycle..

Reactions: bigealta
Yes there is "Affresh" that is used to clean washing machines, and also a version made for dishwashers.

Reactions: Don2222 and djlew
Hey, check your drain hose routing. You need to have a "high loop" above the sink basket before it meets the drain otherwise sink water will go down that tube and gunk it up. 99% if you have a stinky dishwasher this is the cause.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hello
Thanks guys, I just made the loop go up higher. :)

Dishwasher swampy smell when done! Water inside bottom is dirty!