Difference between CO & particle emissions on Drolet site vs Retail websites for wood stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

samd

Oct 6, 2024
New Mexico
Hello,
Can anyone explain to me why Drolet's website lists significantly higher particle emissions and CO than is listed in the specs for the same stoves on retail websites? For example Drolet says the Escape 1500 stove has

Average particulate emission rate 2.4 g/h

But firepitsurplus.com and multiple other sites list it as having

Average particulate emissions rate 1.26 g/h

Also the CO emissions are listed differently as well. Drolet says:

Average CO 103 g/h

But retail websites say:

Average CO 58 g/h

So what's going on here?
It's not just the Escape 1500 with discrepancies but several stoves. Are the retail websites mistaken and using the wrong numbers? Are they using different numbers based on different tests? Are they different versions of the same stove? They also list different burn times. The manual you can download from Drolet agrees with Drolet's listed specs.
Thanks for any help on this. I've tried calling to get a straight answer and no luck yet. I was also looking at Englander Blue Ridge 300 whose emissions would beat the Drolet's emissions if Drolet's site is correct but not if the retail sites are.

Old specs or maybe jsut a copy/paste web error? The manual list it as 1.26 g/h (EPA / CSA B415.1-10)8.

Old specs or maybe jsut a copy/paste web error? The manual list it as 1.26 g/h (EPA / CSA B415.1-10)8.
Oh, what's weirder is the 2020 manual lists the lower emissions but manuals from 2023 and 2024 have higher emissions. So they made an error in their 2020 manual I guess or they started making their stoves less efficient? Kind of strange.

Oh, can I ask where you found that manual? The one I found agreed with the higher emissions. Thanks.
Page 8 under specifications in the 2020 manual.

Oh, what's weirder is the 2020 manual lists the lower emissions but manuals from 2023 and 2024 have higher emissions. So they made an error in their 2020 manual I guess or they started making their stoves less efficient? Kind of strange.
Not sure but it could be because stoves are being retested with different methods.

Last edited:
It doesn't end there. The EPA has stopped the usage of ASTM 3053. These stoves will eventually need to be retesting. I think that is in 5 yrs, but not sure. There have been several changes and challenges to wood stove testing parameters since 2020. BKVP has done a good job of informing of this changing landscape.