Detroit Stove Works 1911 "Magic Jewel" Beginner Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BluShirt

Jul 16, 2024
Silver Spring, MD
Hi!

I recently inherited a ~110-year-old Detroit Jewel stove from my great-grandfather, and it's in a semi-rough state. I would love to clean it up and sell it, but I have no clue where to start. There's a significant amount of rust on almost all of the pieces, and there's at least one part I know is missing. I'd love to sell it once it's in a better state, but I don't know how much it would go for online either. There doesn't seem to be a ton of resources online about such an old stove, so I figured I'd ask here. Please let me know if there's a better thread to post these questions!

Any bit of advice would be appreciated.

It's missing the interior burn assembly which may have rusted out over the years. It looks like a fairly fancy coal stove and may have high value to the right buyer if fully restored. Your best bet would be to start contacting antique stove restorers for parts and restoration options. There are some links in this posting:

Here's a bit of history on the company: