Defiant Non-CAT Air Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swestall

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Connecticut
westallinsurance.com
Gooday! Has anyone had a Defiant Non-Cat apart? I am working on an air control problem. The stove damps down as if the air supply is closed off with the primary air open, flue damper open. I have it partially apart and wondered if anyone had seen the secondary control. From the VC book it looks as if there is not a secondary control flap - but I've read some posts here indicating the everburn does have some type of control. I am wondering if anyone has seen this and if so what it looks like.
Thanks for reading...SW

How about those CFM/VC Operations folks?

the everburn technology is run from controling the primary air in the combustion chamber. The secondary air is not controllable and not thematically controlled

Thanks for the info: I really did not want to take the secondary burn chamber apart. I did take the primary apart and found that the tension springs, etc were missing from my init. I made a small modification to provide a better stop for full open on the unit, got some washers and springs from the local hardware store and put it all back together. My reason for moving from the CAT to Non-CAT version of the Defiant is that I am tired of spending $$ to replace the CAT.

The first fire was much harder to start than with the Defiant Cat stove. Once I got it going well, stove top was 650 and pipe was 600, I engaged the damper and the secondary kicked in. When it stabilized the stack temp was 450 and the stove top was 500 with full open air. Reducing the air control to the half way point reduced stack tem to 350 but the stove top stayed at 500.

I am noticing that the glass seems to build up more smoke related blackening than the CAT version of this stove did, perhaps that will stop when I get better at controlling the stove.

With the secondary engaged, I am not getting anything but clear heat out the top of the stack. (a masonary tile/brick chimney)

After getting some coals burned down I loaded in four med sized splits. They burnt all night.8PM-7AM. IN the morning there was nothing left but a few coals and some fine ash: JUST like you would want!!

Status
Not open for further replies.