Defiant griddle won't stay open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

STJP

May 20, 2015
North Carolina
Last season I set up a Defiant to heat my garage and have installed an insulated metal flue. The 8" oval to round connector is of course a bit larger/thicker than the sigle wall I used before I stored the stove 20+ years ago.

When I open the griddle to load the stove the griddle will fall closed with the slightest vibration or "bump" to the stove. Of course loading wood is rife with vibrations and bumping of the stove. Occasionally the griddle slams shut unless I catch it . My fears are the falling griddle will break. Regardless keeping the freaking griddle upright is not where my attention should be when adding wood to a hot stove.

I have considered using a long very supple spring, not unlike an old screen door closing spring (us old guys remember those). I could install it around the flue semi-permanently and slip it over the griddle tab as I add wood. What I need would probably be more supple than a screen door spring. Where might I find such a spring and/or have you fellows had a similar problem and solved it another way?

Cheers, STJP

IMG_20181209_145044827-2.jpg

how about moving to stove forward just a bit to angle the pipe back seeing as the plate handle is touching the smoke pipe.

wow with that metal as a deflector probably can't get to close to it running the stove at 675.

Hey fbelec.

Yeah the metal is 1 inch off the 2x6 studs. Framing is built inside/in front of the buildings insulation so a 5.5 inch depth air space between the framing studs. The metal feels cool when the stove is hot
Top detail2.jpg

due to air flow behind the metal. Picture is from the top of the shield. You can see space at bottom as well. Interesting note: US guildlines as well as VC state the shield should be 24 gauge metal. Canadian "code" requires 29 gauge. My 29 gauge seems more than adequate.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

STJP

defiant3,

My apologies for not replying sooner. Life has gotten in the way combined with a hard drive failure. I need to set up my account to receive notifications. Excuses aside.......

yes the "tab" of the griddle touches the insulated flue. The slightest bump when putting wood
in the stove causes the griddle to fall closed. Annoying as hell. I have not addressed it yet, your ideas are welcome.

JS

V.c. makes an offset oval to round adapter. That means the pipe will be an inch or 2 farther back. Also means the stove is an inch or 2 farther forward on the hearth tho...

V.c. makes an offset oval to round adapter. That means the pipe will be an inch or 2 farther back. Also means the stove is an inch or 2 farther forward on the hearth tho...

Hi defiant3,

It might work since I only need the griddle to be able to lean back ~1/4". The difference in the VC offset oval to round and the Duravent oval to round is the Duravent is double wall and I don't think the VC is.. In my installation not a big deal. I'll give it some thought.

Very appreciate your idea.

JS

Well here I am again one year later. I moved the stove forward a couple of inches as someone suggested and the griddle does a better job of staying open when top loading.

I moved the stove when I decided to check the flue for creosote and to check behind the fireback and vacuum out as needed.

The flue looks pretty good I think and I had little to vacuum out behind the fireback, but I did notice something different than I expected. I thought there would be a screen beneath the smoke shelf and spanning the space between the fireback and rear wall of the stove but there is nothing under the smoke shelf to the bottom of the space. Here's some pics. One of the inside of the insulated flue pipe and one of the area behind the fireback with the smoke shelf removed. In this picture the front of the stove is to the left. Might anyone speak to the lack of a screen. I thought all Defiants had them?? Am I correct that this flue does not need a sweep?

Cheers,

STJP

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_192807475.jpg
    IMG_20191227_192807475.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20191227_193239541.jpg
    IMG_20191227_193239541.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 176
sweep it at the end of the season to get that crust off. looks good tho.