Decisions on wood fireplace / stove for my current set up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChrisL

Feb 5, 2018
New York
I am new to this thread and enclosed a photo of my current gas fireplace that I want to switch to a wood fireplace. I would love to have a traditional wood stove but believe to keep the TV mounted above it will need to be a fireplace. I have burned wood at my previous house with a Pacific Energy Summit stove and liked that stove. Based on the research I have done on line I am thinking about a quadrafire 7100 or Pioneer II fireplace or the Pacific Energy FP30 fireplace to set up similar to what I have now. I would prefer a traditional stove because no need for blower fans etc like on the fireplace options mentioned but the option to add heat to basement with accessory air kits with fireplace are nice option as well. Does anyone have preference on stoves. My home is 2000 sq ft main level and 1300 sq ft basement. I heard some issues with pacific Energy blowers and vibration problem etc. I live in northern NY on border of Canada so it gets very Dec-Feb.

Attachments

• Decisions on wood fireplace / stove for my current set up.
    95C4E32A-7BF3-4955-8157-AB20A054BC5B.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 135
I know the Pacific Energy FP30 and other high efficiency zero clearance fireplaces have a lot of restriction on the mantle and vertical clearances. The FP30 would need 52" from the base for a 6" mantel. So the layout may need to change and there may not be room for the TV. Something like the FPX Apex 42 can only have a non-combustible mantel with minimum clearance of 48" from the base.

In my cruising across the forums I haven't heard too many problems with Pacific Energy. They are considered the "Toyota" of woodburning; simple and reliable non-catalytic stoves. I wouldn't be too concerned with the reliability.

I've been looking over a year for options to replace a ZC fireplace in NYC Suburbs, but haven't found a good option for us. The NG is pretty cheap and were not sure how long we're staying. Quotes for us are about $8500 + demo + masonry for rebuilding zero clearance and $5k+stove cost for freestanding. That is for a 2 story colonial (pipe would be about 24'). So hopefully that gives you an idea of cost as well. That slowed things up a bit for our situation.

I know the Pacific Energy FP30 and other high efficiency zero clearance fireplaces have a lot of restriction on the mantle and vertical clearances. The FP30 would need 52" from the base for a 6" mantel. So the layout may need to change and there may not be room for the TV. Something like the FPX Apex 42 can only have a non-combustible mantel with minimum clearance of 48" from the base.

In my cruising across the forums I haven't heard too many problems with Pacific Energy. They are considered the "Toyota" of woodburning; simple and reliable non-catalytic stoves. I wouldn't be too concerned with the reliability.

I've been looking over a year for options to replace a ZC fireplace in NYC Suburbs, but haven't found a good option for us. The NG is pretty cheap and were not sure how long we're staying. Quotes for us are about $8500 + demo + masonry for rebuilding zero clearance and $5k+stove cost for freestanding. That is for a 2 story colonial (pipe would be about 24'). So hopefully that gives you an idea of cost as well. That slowed things up a bit for our situation.
Thanks for the info. Yes a non- combustible mantle for quadrafire needs to be 60 inches and 53 for pacific energy. I am leaning toward quadrafire stove because company that installs in my area seems more dependable. I can go with Non combustible mantel but that will add an extra $1000 to $8500 like you mentioned. Think I may go with the noncombustible mantle for my situation just so the TV is not all the way at the ceiling. I’ll be doing the demo and framing just going to hire out the stone work. Fun fun