Decisions ,decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

adog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
Western PA
Hi guys! new here and could really use some guidance on choosing an insert for the fireplace.Any models i should NOT be looking at? Gameroom is 21'X20'.

Looking to heat the house? Size of firebox? Budget? All of these will help us help you.

Welcome.

31" wide 22: deep and 25" high. Depending on options, will dictate budget.I know flu need to be re-lined from what i have read.

That's a nice big firebox - most should fit. Go have a look at some you like the look of - flush mount, sticking out, enamel, steel, cast iron, then come look at the reviews on this website

Really, most reputable hearth retailers are going to sell quality products and give sound advice....most..I would walk into a few local hearth shops and see what they have to offer. You can't really go wrong with:
Regency
Hearthstone
Quadrafire
Lopi
Avalon
Jotul

As far as brands go, those are the big hitters that you'll find in most established hearth shops.

I guess I would steer away from Vermont Castings personally.

Also, with the size gameroom your looking at, I would get something with 1.5-2.0 cubic foot of firebox space. You really shouldnt need anything more than that in my opinion. As far as the liner goes thats always a good idea

You might want to consider an insert with a cat as well. You'll use less wood, they can burn lower and longer, and overnight burns will be very easy. The only two cat inserts I know of are the Buck Model 91 and the Blaze King Princess insert. The Buck is a big guy, probably too big for your application. The BK on the other hand would be an excellent fit, plus 20 hour burn times are possible with this model.

If this insert will also be used to heat part of the attached house, go a little bigger than you think you might need. Oh, and the manufacturers tend to 'overrate' their stoves regarding burn times and sq ft of heating capacity. The general consensus around here is to go a little bigger than you think you might need. This will allow longer burn times and capacity should you want to do more serious heating. <2 cu ft fire boxes ussually aren't all night burners. This is way I like the cat stoves, they can burn at lower output levels than non-cats, which also means lomger and more consistant burns.

only problem is, i have to re-line chimney which is only going to take 6" pipe.Cat stove says it needs 8".

The Country Flame 02 is a cat insert with a 6" flue. It's the 2 cu. ft range

Status
Not open for further replies.