Decision time.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

DouglasCounty

Sep 7, 2024
Kansas
So I have an old Bixby pellet stove that has a motherboard problem that causes it to shut down after a few minutes: I am pretty sure it is a connectivity issue with the temperature sensor, since the connecting point onto the motherboard has a faulty piece that no longer clicks the sensor wire securely into place. I could try to replace the faulty clip, but I wish I could switch over to a wood stove since I live in the country with access to all the wood I want and it seems silly to be buying bags of pellet fuel with me clearing enough brush to fuel a wood stove!

BUT....because my pellet stove is so dang efficient, I have a low temperature 3" double wall stove pipe installed and I have struggled to find any wood stove that would work with that kind of stove pipe! So I can:
a) futz around with the Bixby to get it going again, and keep buying pellets and continue to burn my brush piles/cut up wood for my sister who has a wood stove;
b) if I can't fix the Bixby, get another high efficiency pellet stove that uses the same size stove pipe; or
c) pay an arm and a leg for pulling out the 3" stove pipe and replacing it with 6" pipe for a wood stove and grow my own heat.
I wish there was an option D, which would entail making my own pellets out of all the honeysuckle I'm clearing out as well, which I'm currently piling up and turning it into biochar for the soil by quenching the fire when it burns down to coals, or an option E, which would be finding a wood stove that is efficient enough to utilize the existing stove pipe.

So what do you all think? Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

You do need a proper stove pipe and class A after going thru a wall or ceiling. No escape. It's not only the diameter it's also the temperature rating.

Do you have wood that has been drying for a year or more (split, stacked off the ground)?
Honey suckle won't get you thru winter...

I think it is your choice Wood stove heat is nice but you would need a whole new set-up.
Also, the need to cut and split wood season it for the most part 3 years.
Pellet heat is mostly easy pellets in a bag with 24/7 heat and less maintenance.
I know I have both pellets in the family room and a wood furnace. Love both
but keeping 3 years' worth of wood is a pain and the space is needed. Then
again I own 200+ acres of hardwood forest. So I love Both and with two sons
and being retired you get the picture

Reactions: Washed-Up