Deciding on first pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar77

Nov 29, 2016
Ocean View DE
Hi all... buying my first pellet stove and could use some assistance.

What I'm looking for:
Supplemental heat in about 1800 sq feet.
A classic look (not the big box look of some styles)
Venting will be through ceiling but due to roofline, stove manf. must NOT enforce the 10-2 rule
Multi fuel is a plus
Color options besides black is a plus

Considering:
Breckwell spc50 - no auto ignition, not many reviews, I think it must follow 10-2 rule
Harmon XXV - good reviews obviously, twice the cost of the Breckwell
Enviro m55 cast?
Napoleon?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hi all... buying my first pellet stove and could use some assistance.

What I'm looking for:
Supplemental heat in about 1800 sq feet.
A classic look (not the big box look of some styles)
Venting will be through ceiling but due to roofline, stove manf. must NOT enforce the 10-2 rule
Multi fuel is a plus
Color options besides black is a plus

Considering:
Breckwell spc50 - no auto ignition, not many reviews, I think it must follow 10-2 rule
Harmon XXV - good reviews obviously, twice the cost of the Breckwell
Enviro m55 cast?
Napoleon?

Thanks for any input.

I have a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE vintage 2011 in porcelain mahogany. Stove was my choice, color was my wife's. Runs great and looks just as good. Mine is vented through the roof. Not sure what the roof pitch is.

I have a 2007 St. Croix Hastings for sale. Works really well, it's been well cared for and I will include the vent pipe, OAK, and the hearth pad. Heated my 1900 S?F. House beautifully. Oil is cheap now and back is shot. It is listed on Hudson Valley Craigslist. Might be a good deal for you. PM me for any other info.

No complaints with Enviro M55C here. Harman Accent and Quad Mt. Vernon are both good (same) units as well.....all are available with different finishes.

M55 Does NOT like to be run on low heat. Will do it, but glass and box get dirty quick. Heat 3 and higher, it chuggs like a trooper and can pump a good amount of it.

None of the inserts are going to heat like a free standing wood stove....but they go a good job and over the temp control and convenience. Out of the 3, see what you like the best, which dealer you like best, and what price is best....they are all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.