Deciding between inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

68chevyed

Mar 4, 2019
michigan
Hello all, New here and to inserts. Have been here reading alot. I am in the process of getting a insert. I have narrowed it down to two. I can get a great deal i believe on a regency hampton hi400 with the cast brown enamel finish with fans $3500. Just concerned about what i have read on here about the glass being hard to keep clean. and some of the issues of good burn. Next is the Lopi Large flush wood hybrid-fyre. Dont seem to be as much info on this one. I like the larger box and glass About $4500. We like to see the fire. going from a large heatilator fireplace to a stove is a little disappointing. but will be alot more efficient. It will be going in a by level ranch in the basement that is open to the main floor. chimney is in center of house and is about 25 ft. Would like some real world opinions. Thanks Guys

I have Large Hybrid Fire. It's a nice stove. best looking in my opinion. Huge glass. I use it to heat 2000sq ft one level ranch. Remember it's a space heater. Is there any way you can put insert on a main level. It's not easy to heat from basement

I have Large Hybrid Fire. It's a nice stove. best looking in my opinion. Huge glass. I use it to heat 2000sq ft one level ranch. Remember it's a space heater. Is there any way you can put insert on a main level. It's not easy to heat from basement
Thanks for reply. No not really, This is not a typical ranch. Where my living room would be, there is no floor it is open to basement. so my living room is in basement. I really like the huge glass with the hybrid. Does it stay fairly clean? to see the fire ? Thanks

Thanks for reply. No not really, This is not a typical ranch. Where my living room would be, there is no floor it is open to basement. so my living room is in basement. I really like the huge glass with the hybrid. Does it stay fairly clean? to see the fire ? Thanks
I can guarantee that it will be perfectly clean BUT: You need to use DRY wood, DON'T cut air too soon, Install it right so it's going to have normal draft. You going to get tint here and there at first but will learn how to operate your particular set-up.

I can guarantee that it will be perfectly clean BUT: You need to use DRY wood, DON'T cut air too soon, Install it right so it's going to have normal draft. You going to get tint here and there at first but will learn how to operate your particular set-up.
Going to try and see it in person this weekend. Thanks for your help always good to hear from people that have experience with it.

Those are nice units. Dry wood is critical with a cat stove whereas you can slack off a little more with a non cat. Thats my opinion on the matter anyways.
I season at least 6 months. I prefer 9+ months. I had no problem burning wood seasoned 7 months in my Drolet.
Also, I much rather have smaller split logs versus big honkin logs. Much easier to pack the stove in for a long burn with smaller logs. And smaller logs will season faster.

One thing to keep in mind... and this not a major item.... is that ones feelings about a certain liner change after use. My thoughts are that right now one of your main criteria is the large glass. If you chose the Hampton, after time it may be just fine as you grow used to it.

So if the $1k difference in price is important, than this may not be a big compromise. Just offering a thought, not trying to steer you to any one device.

Those are nice units. Dry wood is critical with a cat stove whereas you can slack off a little more with a non cat. Thats my opinion on the matter anyways.
I season at least 6 months. I prefer 9+ months. I had no problem burning wood seasoned 7 months in my Drolet.
Also, I much rather have smaller split logs versus big honkin logs. Much easier to pack the stove in for a long burn with smaller logs. And smaller logs will season faster.
Thanks bootstrap, I have about 3 cords of oak that is 3-4 years seasoned. Will be a learning curve.

One thing to keep in mind... and this not a major item.... is that ones feelings about a certain liner change after use. My thoughts are that right now one of your main criteria is the large glass. If you chose the Hampton, after time it may be just fine as you grow used to it.

So if the $1k difference in price is important, than this may not be a big compromise. Just offering a thought, not trying to steer you to any one device.
Thanks spudman99 yeah the size of glass is somewhat important. My main concern with the Hampton is it's ability to keep glass clean. Alot of talk on here about that. Hoping to see the lopi this week firebox size also important

As long as you leave the air just a hair left of fully closed, your glass will be ok.

As long as you leave the air just a hair left of fully closed, your glass will be ok.
Thanks tadmaz, I've seen some of your posts on the Hampton. How long have you had yours? Are you happy with it?

Thanks tadmaz, I've seen some of your posts on the Hampton. How long have you had yours? Are you happy with it?
Yes! Wife wanted a pretty insert, I had to go with flush versus spend some major money extending my hearth, so it was the best I could find given those requirements. Highly recommend a block-off plate. If you don't have one, you will feel that it doesn't heat as good as the $$$ you spent. You need dry wood. I was able to heat my house with -30F with some gigantic white oak rounds that were dry. Pretty amazing for a flush insert. I use the fan on high when it's 15F or colder, otherwise low is good enough. The fan on high is somewhat loud, but just turn the TV up. It pumps out some major heat on high. There is a learning curve to getting hot fires from a cold start, but I think that's about the same with any stove. Reloads with coals is easy. Let us know if you have any questions!

Yes! Wife wanted a pretty insert, I had to go with flush versus spend some major money extending my hearth, so it was the best I could find given those requirements. Highly recommend a block-off plate. If you don't have one, you will feel that it doesn't heat as good as the $$$ you spent. You need dry wood. I was able to heat my house with -30F with some gigantic white oak rounds that were dry. Pretty amazing for a flush insert. I use the fan on high when it's 15F or colder, otherwise low is good enough. The fan on high is somewhat loud, but just turn the TV up. It pumps out some major heat on high. There is a learning curve to getting hot fires from a cold start, but I think that's about the same with any stove. Reloads with coals is easy. Let us know if you have any questions!
Thanks will definitely be asking I'm sure

Thanks Guys for your input. Much appreciated. Seen the lopi large hybrid fyre. We have decided to go with that. The larger box was a big reason. It made the regency look like a med size next to it.. It will be 3-4 weeks before they install hoping will still be cool enough to season it.
This site and people are a wealth of information, made a newbie like me know what i was talking about to the dealer. and to know what they were talking about. Very cool site!!

Reactions: MAD MARK
Stick around and update us with the install progress. Pictures help illustrate what is going on. That eventually helps others who read the forum. Sort of paying it forward.