Damper Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reming870

Nov 18, 2022
I want to add a damper to the new stove install. Drolet 1800 Legs.

Due to a height restraint I am asking to where the damper can be.

If I install a 12-inch riser out of the stove, then the damper, can I put a 45 right on top of the damper or should I use another 12 inch piece before the 45?

Looking for recommendations for both function and aesthetics.

I have to offset with (2) 45's to hit the chimney.

Thank you.

I want to add a damper to the new stove install. Drolet 1800 Legs.

Due to a height restraint I am asking to where the damper can be.

If I install a 12-inch riser out of the stove, then the damper, can I put a 45 right on top of the damper or should I use another 12 inch piece before the 45?

Looking for recommendations for both function and aesthetics.

I have to offset with (2) 45's to hit the chimney.

Thank you.
The damper really can be anywhere in the pipe

What makes you think you need a damper? How tall is it from the stove to the top of the chimney?

If the damper is installed keep it back a couple of inches from a pipe junction so that it doesn't get hung up on the inner crimped edge of the inserted pipe or elbow when the damper is fully open.

it's a little more money than just a damper by itself, but a damper/pipe assembly can go right on top of the stove

it's a little more money than just a damper by itself, but a damper/pipe assembly can go right on top of the stove
You can do that with just a damper as well. But I believe they are running double wall so they will need to get a damper section

I tried my damper assembly right on top of the stove. The handle was too close to the Airmate (deflector on top of stove). Hard to turn the handle. Worked better as I replied in your other post about double wall connections.
You can do that with just a damper as well. But I believe they are running double wall so they will need to get a damper section
You can put put a damper through double wall stove pipe. Damper in this case means round plate with slide thru handle---not a complete assembly which has stove pipe included. I have one on my double wall stove pipe, plus I have a damper assembly.

I have a double wall pipe with damper assembly right on top of my legend 3. It certainly helps to keep the stove pipe temps in order when the intake air control cannot.

I remember struggling somewhat years ago fumbling to get a damper into a single wall pipe above a cook stove. I had to reach in with a wire or something to line up the damper rod.. No biggy, but it was so much simpler just plopping an assembly on top of the stove.

PS, my stove does not have a deflector on top, so...

Last edited:
I tried my damper assembly right on top of the stove. The handle was too close to the Airmate (deflector on top of stove). Hard to turn the handle. Worked better as I replied in your other post about double wall connections.

You can put put a damper through double wall stove pipe. Damper in this case means round plate with slide thru handle---not a complete assembly which has stove pipe included. I have one on my double wall stove pipe, plus I have a damper assembly.
Are you using a longer damper rod to put a regular damper in your double wall pipe? If not there usually isn't enough spring to allow for the 1/2" air space

I didn’t know you needed a dedicated section for double wall. Why is that? Handle rod length?

Are you using a longer damper rod to put a regular damper in your double wall pipe? If not there usually isn't enough spring to allow for the 1/2" air space
I see it now.

No. I actually shortened the spring a bit. It was too tight at full length.

Damper and Damper Assembly DSP.jpg Damper Location