damper advice going from stove back to firplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wryder

Dec 11, 2019
PA
Hi all,

I have a fireplace that I pulled a wood burning stove insert out of. The chimney has a stainless liner that bolted straight into the stove, and the stove unit had a built in damper. So now with the stove insert removed, I have just an open stainless liner coming into the fireplace.

I'd like to use the fireplace with propane logs ultimately. I'm pretty handy but no masonry expert, and have built brick walls and replaced sections of morter. I've helped with concrete installation.

All that said: may I ask for recommendations on how to set this up? I see mesh transitions from liner to "smoke box" that I believe you morter up into the top of the fireplace (not aware of the technical terminology). Is there such a thing as a transition with a built in damper unit I can install at the bottom of the liner? If so, is it pretty straight forward to install? Or, is my only option to have a damper installed at the top of the chimney (I'm not really keen on crawling around my roof myself so in that case I'd have to hire someone), and then finish off the fireplace end with the open mesh transition?

Thanks so much in advance!

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I have a fireplace that I pulled a wood burning stove insert out of. The chimney has a stainless liner that bolted straight into the stove, and the stove unit had a built in damper. So now with the stove insert removed, I have just an open stainless liner coming into the fireplace.

I'd like to use the fireplace with propane logs ultimately. I'm pretty handy but no masonry expert, and have built brick walls and replaced sections of morter. I've helped with concrete installation.

All that said: may I ask for recommendations on how to set this up? I see mesh transitions from liner to "smoke box" that I believe you morter up into the top of the fireplace (not aware of the technical terminology). Is there such a thing as a transition with a built in damper unit I can install at the bottom of the liner? If so, is it pretty straight forward to install? Or, is my only option to have a damper installed at the top of the chimney (I'm not really keen on crawling around my roof myself so in that case I'd have to hire someone), and then finish off the fireplace end with the open mesh transition?

Thanks so much in advance!

The liner that was for the insert will most likely not be sized correctly to vent gas logs. It will need to be pulled and replaced with a properly sized one for the open fireplace.

Then you will need to have a lock top damper installed. I’m not aware of any damper that can be installed at the bottom.

The liner that was for the insert will most likely not be sized correctly to vent gas logs. It will need to be pulled and replaced with a properly sized one for the open fireplace.
Thanks so much for the replies!

I'm surprised the sizing could possibly be inadequate. Can't you run propane in the house with no venting at all? Like stoves or... forklifts?

I'm surprised the sizing could possibly be inadequate. Can't you run propane in the house with no venting at all? Like stoves or... forklifts?

The liner would need to be sized the same as it would be for a wood burning fireplace if you are using vented logs. There are vent free ones but I would not recommend using them

Yes, with a vent free log set. It can be very dangerous to run propane appliances with no vent over long periods of time. It’s nearly odorless and can be deadly. CO detectors are very important. No, you can’t run a forklift in your house..

Reactions: bholler